Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is lightning while you are fishing in the lake, are you at risk of getting struck? What percausions can you take? Is there a device that helps in grounding the boat? Should you run your boat to shore?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
A lake is no place to be when theres lightning. You are the high spot in a large expanse. Get off the water. Holding up a graphite rod when theres lightning isn't a real good idea either. :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Correct it is unsafe to be out in a boat in the middle of a lightning storm. Get off the water, your graphite rod will also act as a lightning rod and call the lightning in on you or your metal boat its all the same. Water, Metal, Lightning, you not a good combination.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Work2fish fishes in tornados, I don't image a lowly thunderstorm would scare him away.

From what I've read, open boats are the most vulnerable because the occupants act as the lightning rod. If you can not get out of the way of a storm they recommend getting as low as possible in the boat and laying down anything that sticks up from the boat (rods, nets, antenna...) In other boats stay as dry as possible under the top or in a cabin if you have one, don't touch metal. Unplug electronics.

From what I have read, lightning hits on aluminum boats cause little damage to the boat itself but can punch holes in a fiberglass boat. On fiberglass boats they recommend bonding (connecting all metal parts like railing, windshield, motor, etc together with heavy wire #4 or heavier) and grounding the metal to a plate under the boat. I have read that you need 2 square feet or more of metal touching the water in fresh water, or 1 square foot in salt water.

Having been caught in severe thunderstorms on Lake of the Woods and other places in the past, I bought the materials to bond and ground my boat last year, but have not done it.

There are also lightning protection devices like ion dissipators. There are varing opinions as to whether or not these help protect a boat from being hit, or the reverse.

In any case, if your graphite rod when held vertically, starts buzzing, humming or shocks you, its time to seek shelter and protection. This often happens well before the thunderstorm hits.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
TAL0362 said:
Work2fish fishes in tornados, I don't image a lowly thunderstorm would scare him away.
Oh boy, I was trying to hide the fact that I'm a real idiot, but now the facts are out! Thanks Terre ;)

There are lots of stories about lightning and fishing, here is one from a google search of "fishing rod" "struck by lightning" (check out this guy's fishing pole):

and the story:

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/lightening_fishing.html

I value my fishing poles too much to be out there taking a risk of having them struck by lightning and turned into cotton candy ;D

·
Registered
11 Posts
My last trip out in Aurora was in a lightening storm while in my tube, every cast you could see the static in the air arcing from the rod to my hand. Stayed out for the whole thing, and left with a limit of nice Perch while being yelled at from shore by the Ranger to get immediately. Kinda hard to hear clearly in the wind with thunder about every 10-15 seconds ;D I guess it depends on just how mentally deficient you are.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
a77ssii said:
I guess it depends on just how mentally deficient you are.
AMEN.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts