1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Good question. I too was looking at that one. I know my new boat has an anchor but im not sure they type.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I've used the lots of the fluke type, mushroom, even big rocks. In my experience fluke type skid on hard / rocky bottom common here on many lakes in colorado. The best anchor I've come across(without spending a fortune) is a claw or bruce style anchor. I have an 11 lb on my boat sets quick and it holds in all bottom conditions, its really pretty amasing. I have it set to break away (with wire ties) and come up back first if it snags. Chain is important, I have 8 feet. A 6 lb claw anchor plus chain would probably work well with a 16 foot boat. I bought mine on ebay.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Fisheyes,

4.4 lb seems light. I have seen 2.5 kg around. I would go with the 11 lb and shorten up on the chain (3 feet) rather than going with a 4.4 lb and a lot of chain (10 +). That said if your boat is light you will probably be ok with the 4.4 lb.

T

·
Registered
410 Posts
Basically the anchor rope pulls up un the chain and not the anchor. The chain will lay flat on the ground for a few feet before being pulled upward by the anchor rope. Without chain in any type of wind or current the rope will be pulling up on the anchor and not letting it get set.

Most folks use between 4'-6' of chain.

JT

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
Good catch,Talo. I forgot about the chain. I use 5 ft of 3/8" heavy chain. Attached to my 12 lb hooker type anchor,it holds even at 11-mile. Actually I have 2 of them,one on the front and one on the back. It keeps the boat from twirling in the wind. Also you're supposed to let out the rope 3 times the depth. So if it's 25 ft deep,let out 75 ft of anchor rope.I usually dont need that much.

·
Registered
16,531 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the help, I'm going to try adding a chain to my old anchor for one end of the boat, and get a new lighter weight "claw type" anchor with chain for the other. I should be able to stay out of the weeds and keep the lines straight with that! Thanks much, this is better than Consumer Reports!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts