Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common for the counters to be off? For every 10ft my line counter says has been let out its really 13ft. I'm using 10lb fireline. Is there a way to calibrate for your specific set up? I have a daiwa accudepth plus if that helps. Thanks

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
are you zeroing it out before you drop? i have four, friends got two as well, all six read properly. these are okuma counters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's probably my issue. Not filling the spool all the way. For now I'll just go with every foot the line counter reads 1.3' is actually out. Thanks guys

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes. The counter accuracy is dependent on the amount of line on the reel. To calibrate my accudepth (and other linecounter reels) I use 2 points in my yard with a known distance (mine are 99 feet apart, but ~50 feet would be plenty of distance). Hook the line to 1 (I use a downrigger clip), set zero, walk to the other point and check the reading.

If the count is too high (like yours), then there is not enough line on the reel - add some line and check the measurement again.

If the count is too low, remove some line from the spool and check again.

By using a downrigger clip or snap weight clip you can do the adjustments without making a bunch of knots or wasting line. After you do this a few times you will be able to calibrate the reels in a few minutes each.

Tight lines,
David

·
P I K E
10,160 Posts
Most line counter reels like the Accudepth and the Sealine are designed to use medium size monofilament line. You say you are using Fireline which is a thinner diameter line, much thinner than the counter on the reel is designed for so as you are letting line out being thinner it is actually letting more line out than it larger counterpart the monofilament. The linecounters are a direct gear drive so there is no real way to readjust to the thinner line. My advice for you would be to wrap 8-10 pound mono on the real then use about a 6' Fireline leader, my real advice would be to just go straight mono all the way like a 10# Trilene XT which is strong enough for planer boards or straight trolling!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I use a lot of linecounters, and I don't care how much line is out. I find what depth the fish are biting at and use that number on that reel, the other reel I let out to that number and go plus or minus 5 t0 10 the number on the reel just lets you come to the same mark each time, there are way to many variables to be able to say how deep you are fishing, line size, speed, lure, wind ect. just use as a set number. I wouldn't care if it was 20 feet off, just come back to the mark. I have gone out and forgot to reset to zero ans set my zero when the line was out and used a minus number all day, as long as the number is the same each time is all that counts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I use a lot of linecounters, and I don't care how much line is out. I find what depth the fish are biting at and use that number on that reel, the other reel I let out to that number and go plus or minus 5 t0 10 the number on the reel just lets you come to the same mark each time, there are way to many variables to be able to say how deep you are fishing, line size, speed, lure, wind ect. just use as a set number. I wouldn't care if it was 20 feet off, just come back to the mark. I have gone out and forgot to reset to zero ans set my zero when the line was out and used a minus number all day, as long as the number is the same each time is all that counts
This..good advice Byron.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts