Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a couple reels with line counters on them for walleye fishing and lake trout. anyone have any opions on them?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Not to jump off subject, but does anyone know of a device that makes a sound when a fish runs with your line? Something to use when catfishing with an open bail?

By the way, I heard that those reels with the line-counter thingys work very good if fishing from a boat and want to be at a certain depth. You can also buy individual line- counters to use with any rod for about fifteen bucks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
StuccoMan,

I don't know of Spinning Reels that click, but they may be out there. I know that some fine baitcasters do.

Many recommend the Abu Garcia 5500/6500 series

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
GotMusky

[Not to jump off subject, but does anyone know of a device that makes a sound when a fish runs with your line?  Something to use when catfishing with an open bail?]

They have this at Cabela's

Another old fashioned method if you are shore fishing for cats and dont want to line watch...open the bail and take a styrofoam cup with a one inch slit in and run the line through it and set it on the ground...the cup will hop up on a bite like a white flag...and come off the line...the fish will feel nothing...

E

·
0 Posts
I like the line counters for long trolling! They are GREAT! I recommend you go with a mechanical unit as opposed to a battery powered one.

The batteries die and then you get frustrated...CAbelas has some affordable models that work very well!

Ken is right, the DIawas are great quality, but I have also found the Cabelas brand to be fine!

E

·
0 Posts
You are right Ken, and I think you aremaking a good choice stuccoman!

Go get soem line counters, you will nOT regret it!

The first time you are out there and you nail a fish on one rod....then you let theohter one right out to the exact depth and hook a DOUBLE...you'll feel REAL GOOD about the investment!

(Plus gadgets are neat and fun and enhance the fishing expereince...ask any boy and most of the fishin' girls I know!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts