Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently have an ultra light rod with 4/5lb (don't recall which) flouro line on a spinning reel. it's overwhelmingly the most pleasant setup to use. Unfortunately due to what I'm certain is lack of skill it seems like I end up with a broken line for one of every 3 fish 16" or over. until I gather more skills is there another thing I should spool on there to keep my long easy casts? several of the breaks come when the fish wraps or rubs against something. I'm watching vids and learning but also getting sick of excting fish getting away. help?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Seaguar red label makes a 6lb flouro that is the diameter of most 4lb monos. Might be able to keep your casting same distance

·
Registered
427 Posts
Old junk line? If not, then a properly set and functioning drag check is in order. If you feel nicks/abrasion in line, cut out immediately and retie.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Braid with flouro leader. Set drag just tight enough to sink the hook.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. How many of you set drag with a scale vs pulling on it by hand?
Pull by hand. If you take some of the advice above and proceed with a braided line + leader, you are going to want to loosen the drag a bit more. Braided line does not stretch and that puts a lot of pressure on your line.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Since you like it so much, I'd leave your setup as it is and target smaller fish with it. See if there's a light action model of that rod and spool it with 6lb (or 10lb braid w/ leader) for bigger fish. Catching 16" fish on an UL with 4lb test is super fun, but the rod doesn't have the backbone and the line doesn't have the durability to be fishing that rig around heavy cover.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, cool. Related question- how many of you re spool a reel semi often vs having an additional reel. Say one reel with 4lb flouro and one with 10lb braid?
Or for my ml rod setup, one reel with 6 lb mono and one with 15lb braid? I'm not looking to own a thousand reels but I'm not sure the 6lb gets me everywhere I wanna be

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
6 lb is an extremely good pound test. There isn't many places it won't get you. One place is bouncing jigs off the bottom at the local dead president lake. My heart still hurts from all the rigs I lost messing around there. I'm going to order another spool from the Shimano site exactly for that. Cheaper than buying a new reel.

Speaking of. I wonder how the conditions are there now

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
New guy,
What I did was instead of buying one or two expensive setups, I bought four decent setups and have a variety. It also helps when you fish because you can have multiple rods pre-rigged. I usually carry 3-4 rods when I'm shore fishing. Get some rod socks and it is easy to carry them around without getting tangled.

The cheapest rod socks I have found were at Wal Mart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Anler-Spinning-Rod-Sock/43300068

They work great. Keep in mind the socks are different for spinning and baitcast setups.
The one's for spinning rods have a larger opening to account for the bigger guides.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ok, cool. Related question- how many of you re spool a reel semi often vs having an additional reel. Say one reel with 4lb flouro and one with 10lb braid?
Or for my ml rod setup, one reel with 6 lb mono and one with 15lb braid? I'm not looking to own a thousand reels but I'm not sure the 6lb gets me everywhere I wanna be
I have a lot of reels so I don't respool often, but I also buy extra spools for certain reels.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was unaware that I could just get anothe spool for existing reels. I'll look into that route. Right now we have 4 rods for two people. All $59ish combos. I wouldn't mind one mor option for jigs/weeds. Currently my jig experience has been that it is much more fun to take. $5 bill, make a paper airplane, light it on fire and throw it in. That and using jigs seem to empty my wallet at exactly the same rate.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Currently my jig experience has been that it is much more fun to take. $5 bill, make a paper airplane, light it on fire and throw it in. That and using jigs seem to empty my wallet at exactly the same rate.
I use 15lb braid on all my ultralights. Some straight to the lure I'm fishing and others with fluorocarbon leaders. Rarely have problems with line breaking unless I really get hung on something large. But occasionally I have had to sacrifice a lure or two to the fishing gods. I think we've all been there.

While others have given lots of great advice perhaps you've overlooked the most important part. Tying a good knot.....

Here's a link for you.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yeah and jigs are inexpensive. 3-5 bucks for 10 jigheads and then 4 bucks for 10 skirts. If I lost all 10 in a day that's only be about 9 dollars for a day of fishing. Not bad. And I'm getting better

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Yeah and jigs are inexpensive. 3-5 bucks for 10 jigheads and then 4 bucks for 10 skirts. If I lost all 10 in a day that's only be about 9 dollars for a day of fishing. Not bad. And I'm getting better
That's a lot less expensive than buying them for $3-5 a pop.

Considering I seem to lose jig all the time I'll have to look into this when my current supply starts looking low.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts