Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have been using a couple different ones, LOVE THEM other than the price!

OSPREY heavy has to be one of my favs.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Misson fish. The end. :)

Actually the old 3:16 Sidewinder has caught a bunch of fish for me. I also convert Stocker Trout into line throughs, but that can be tricky to get them to swim right.

Optimums have always been a favorite. I have never tried their LT's, but I am gong to get some this year.

Cheers!

SS

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you find these to be a GO TO lure in your arsenal ? It seems that I always have a rod rigged and ready with a 7" or 9" model, and they always provide some excitement !

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Not really. Other types are more realistic. We don't have enough cover (as a rule) to justify the line-through baits. I like the Mission Fish for fishing thick grass or wood. I fish it as I would a worm. I almost never "swim" the bait.

My go-to bait is too boring for words: A 6'' or 8" Castaic.

also fish a lot of MattLures, Slammers, Optimums, Hudds. (in that order)

I have some "fancy" baits and they do not work as well for me.

I really do not use that many baits. I think it is better to be "dialed-in" with a handful of baits than playing pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey and hoping something will work. When I tie on one of my baits, I know how it will work.

SS

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am fishing them regardless of structure or cover and have caught fish both high and low. I love slow crawling them along the bottom, some of the hits almost take the rod away. The most exciting hits are the ones that feel like a bass nipping a worm, tick, tick, BOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course I am fishing for pike almost exclusively now and the bigger baits have eliminated the hassle of a lot of smaller fish. I am hoping to start targeting bass with them this year.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
swimbait said:
How do you like the Weedslinger? They look cute but I have never tried one.
O.K>
I guess...

I fish way more top-hook soft baits than line-thru so I have Way more confidence, therefore I throw them more>snowball effect. I do like the Rago's appearance and characteristics much better than the slingers. I still havent seen the roboworm pours, yet...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just ordered some Rising Son line throughs, they looked nice in vids but haven't had a chance to throw one yet... give it a month and i'll be able to say what i think of it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Not a fan myself, but if you were to make one, I say extra re-inforcements on the line thru hole. Slit to hide the treble or better yet, some type of magnetic attachment for double gap frog hooks. Skinner profile, like hudd style. Another thing would be to make 5in or less.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
1) RUNS TRUE AT ALL SPEEDS, INCLUDING BURNING

2) NO UGLY WALLEYE COLORS!!

3) I like a nice, thin tail that collapses in a fish's mouth. Big baits get big bites, but I like to put as many of those bites in the boat as possible. SouthPlatter's idea of a frog hook is good stuff. I rig mine points toward the sky, not points down. Gamakatsu is making "FROG" style double hooks in smaller sizes now, I got some 1/0's I can't wait to try on the 6" Hudds...

Simple colors, done well. Off shore (asian) baits always look like a demented clown on acid painted them. Simple is good.

Line through baits tend to roll and plane on fast retrieves, and I hate that. Even if it has to weigh more, it MUST run straight or I will not ever throw it. It is a real pain to be doing MoJo surgery on a bait in the bottom of the boat while the wind blows you off a point.

On a side note, I would like to point out that this is my 666th post, and it happened on the 666th page of this section. >:D

Cheers!

SS

·
P I K E
10,082 Posts
swimbait said:
I also convert Stocker Trout into line throughs, but that can be tricky to get them to swim right.

Cheers!

SS
I don't think you are bonking them on the head hard enough then!!! If they're not completely dead they'll squirm like a crack addict looking for a fix!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swimbait, GREAT POINTS and I can tell you that we have already addressed a few of those points. Like I have said many times, COLORS SUCK, everybody wants something different, we have tried to find colors that catch fish, yet just like with our other lures, the best fish catching colors don't seem to be the best sellers. Funny you mention the thin tail, I was actually worried about ours being to thin! While it swims great, I am afraid a lot of pike may be swimming off with the tail in their mouths. This may not be much of an issue with bass, but it is a concern with pike.

The lure world is getting crazy, several companies have actually patented tail shapes and designs. We have designed a unique tail shape that we hope will perform as good as some others out there.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TthePikester said:
swimbait said:
I also convert Stocker Trout into line throughs, but that can be tricky to get them to swim right.

Cheers!

SS
I don't think you are bonking them on the head hard enough then!!! If they're not completely dead they'll squirm like a crack addict looking for a fix!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D
T, that is freaking hilarious !!!! ;D

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
TthePikester said:
swimbait said:

Cheers!

SS
That IS funny stuff. I think that crack addict action might be just the ticket, actually.

Here is a Stocker Trout in the 7'' LMB pattern I did the line through trick with. It comes stock with a jig hook that fish love to bounce off of. I lost a very, very big bass (teener) at Casitas on the stock version. I no longer fish them the way they are made. Awesome action for those who are not familiar with the Stocker swimbaits, which I suspect is most people.

SS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts