Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a brand of line that minimizes the line twist? I fish primarily with ultra light reels for trout and walleye and I am always replacing my line. Sometimes when I open my bail and cast a good amount of line shoots off my reel and gets in a big mess. I am not sure if it is my reel or the line.

If there is not a special fishing line to minimize the line twist is there certain reels on the market that work better.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming it is line twist. If I have slack line between my reel and first eye on my pole then it twists up and usually creates a knot.

I do not use swivels with lures as I have been told the swivels reduce the action of the lure.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
well on most of my poles i have my main line go
to a swivel then i tie on a leader that goes to my lure
or what ever im fishing with that day

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I use Trilene XL (extra limp) on my spinning reels of various sizes as its what I've had the best results with. Alot of the braids are too limp on the reel and can cause tangles. Alot of the flourocarbons are too stiff and cause the same problems.
That said, my ultralight/micro is the reel i always have the most trouble with and I think the reasons are:
1. I'm usually fishing small spinners which tend to twist the line.
2. i don't use a swivel unless I absolutely have too.
3. The small diameter of the spool and first guide contribute to teh twist as the line rolls over them.
Solutions to the problems are as follows:
1. Don't use spinners...yea right.
2. I like to put a small barrell swivel a few feet up from the lure with a leader down to the lure. This actually makes alot of spinners work better as that small amount of weight ahead keeps the head down.
3. Find an ultralight with the biggest spool you can.
Finally, alot of my line twist happens if I don't pay attention when I put new line on the reel in the first place. As you're winding line on, check intermittently for twist and if it's happening, turn the spool of line over and continue. Sometimes when I'm finished refilling and most of the time before I fish, I'll wlak out about 80-90feet of line and just let it drag back to the reel, this really helps to start with untwisted line.
Oh look now I've said too much...

M

·
0 Posts
when you are putting your line on your reel, have it come off the spool of line in the same direction as yolur reel spoll is turning, so it's just continuing the circle it was already in...get it? hehe

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have found that closing the bail manually on spinning reels with light line and lures helps keep twisted line from getting funky when you start to reel in.

a note: to untwist twisted line in a boat...cut the lure off and let all the line out behind the boat a trolling speed, this will untwist the line. reel it in and re-attach the lure. the same thing can be accomplished by standing on a river bank and letting the current take the line out.

Line twist is definitely more noticable with lighter lines and is very annoying. I use power-pro and find that when I get a line twist knot I can simply grab the line on either end of the knot and just pull it out because the power-pro is so damn strong. This doesn't work 100% of the time but it does work a good percentage of the time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
also: if the line shoots off the spool when you open the bail, It is a sign that there is too much line on the spool. try using less line on the spool. I try to keep about 1/8" between the lip of the spool and the line.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
My experiences match those of VolFan, and I agree with him. The biggest problem is with my ultralight (which normally has 2 lb line on it, or rarely, 4) and spinners are the real killers when it comes to line twist. Some spinners are worse than others. For me, Rooster Tails are the worst, Blue Fox spinners cause the least trouble, other brands come in between. Also, spinners with the hooks dressed with bucktail seem to turn over less in the water and cause less line twist.

My only remedy has been to respool when it gets too bad. I often respool after one whole day of fishing. Respooling every one or two days gives me a lot of incentive to buy line in bulk!

If you have line twist problems when not using spinners, then it either has to be caused by reeling against the drag as Ken mentioned, or else the line was wound onto the reel with the wrong line rotation off the supply spool.

With most brands of spinning reel, and most brands of line, you want the supply spool to be lying flat with the label face up as you wind it on, so the line spirals off the top of spool putting a twist in the line -- which the reel removes again as it winds the line onto the spool. When starting to fill the reel, you can test this by giving the reel about 15 turns and then lowering the rod tip down to the supply spool. If the line immediately twists all up, turn the supply spool over. If it only forms one or two loose loops, you are O.K.

You sometimes see ads for line that say this particular line resists twisting. Ignore that, marketing people are the same the world over. All lines can get twisted up. You also see ads for spinners that claim not to twist the line. Ignore that, too. If the lure turns over in the water (and it will), it is going to twist your line.

If you want to troll a spinner, you can tie a keel sinker into the rig about 3 or 4 ft. ahead of the spinner. A keel sinker is lopsided so that one side always hangs downward and no matter how many times the lure turns over and over, no twist is transmitted up the main line.

This is a keel sinker. The bead chain acts as a swivel and the off center weight keeps it from twisting.

If your reel came with a spare spool, load it up with line and keep it in your tackle box as a spare, just in case.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
That's a good one Walking Eagle on the Keel sinker that I have never heard or read about...thanks!...

Dont forget about the good old ball bearing swivels if you dont want weight on your line...we used them in Minny for trolling for Pike and Muskies...they stop line twist dead in its tracks...you can attach it and tie on a leader like someone previously mentioned with the barrel swivel if you dont want the swivel up with the lure...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Thanks everyone, I think my problem is due to using spinners. I will try using a ball bearing swivel and like I also like Walking Eagle's idea of using a Keel sinker. I never heard of this. I will also try FarmerTed's idea about letting the line out without a lure. It is amazing the knowledge you can gain from other people. Hopefully, I will not have to respool as often.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
On that note about trailing the line behind your boat... If you don't have a boat, traling the line downstream in a stream/river has the same affect as does letting several yards of line out and dragging it accross a grassy area. Be aware though that dragging line accross the grass may knick it if there're rocks and sticks or really sharp grass.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Micheal

One other thing...I hate swivels...anything a fish can notice in my book is bad...but I do use ball bearing ones with spinners due to the horrible line twist...if you look around at Gander they make some little black ones...no silver glint to them...blend in nicely...my other two cents...

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you do use a ball bearing swivel, only use a high quality brand such as Sampo. The cheap ones are garbage. High quality ones are very expensive but work as advertised.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
when I think back to my spin fishing days, i was all about spider wire. It's a braided line and really strong. Zero memory and amazing strength.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts