Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Scott s4 4wt. 9'. I have read tons of comments on how fast this stick is. What do you guys think for the line. My first instincts are a SA, WF mastery GPX line because it slightly on the heavy side to flex this fast stick. Also on the same thought was Rio Grand. The Rio is a little strange with the two colors in the same line thougth...Does anybody think this stick would respond better with a 5wt. line since its such a strong wt. rod?

Finally, anybody have any experience with the new SA "textured" GPX? Not a huge fan of the noise with the sharkskin but wondering if this is a nice compromise. Thanks for the input. ;D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh one last thing also....anybody have experience with the Ross Airius reel. Seems like a solid reel from Ross...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
SA GPX 4 wt.

If you like a fast action rod, no need to slow it down with a 5wt line. Personally, I feel like if you do that, you should really consider buying a med fast action 5wt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, you could buy any of the above if you like spending $70 on a new line every year - or you could try an Airflo Ridge Supple Tactical Trout.
It's polyurethane instead of PVC - impervious to DEET, UV, etc. I have 5-and 6-wts paired with my Loomis GLX's (very fast rods, as you know) and I'd never go back to PVC. The 5 has seen well over 150 days on the water and looks like it just came out of the box.
I knew the line was different when it came off the factory spool with no memory coils. Integral loops on both ends make it a snap to attach to backing and leaders. And the tiny ridges make it shoot like a Sharkskin without the noise and finger-burning. As a bonus, it's nice and supple even in the cold.
For more on Airflo lines, go here. And I have no connection with them - just an enthusiastic user - ;)

http://www.rajeffsports.com/airflo_about.php

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. I went with Rio Grand wf 4F. Just got the reel...feels/ looks real nice. New Scott, line, backing and a tailwater...I'm good!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts