Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a stupid question but I know that with most sunfish and bass its best to hold them by lipping them. Can this be done with trout? I've almost never seen a trout held or lifted out of the water by lipping, mainly by either holding the body or netting. Is this just because most of the time trout are caught on a flyrod and the net just makes it easier to land them without breaking the line or is it because they just can't be lipped?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
well in my opinion "lipping" isnt the best way to handle any fish that will be released i have read studies and reports in mags showing that it is easy to "hyper extend" the jaws of even bass and that this interfears with there feeding for some time after they are released. if a fish is going to be released the "best" (for the fish atleast) thing to do is to remove the hook quickly while the fish is still in the water this causes the least stress, when a fish is out of water there bodies are not supported and the strain can cause injury, gently cradleing the fish is the next best as it better supports there body sure bass "can and do" survive lipping and when there jaws are flared open when they are lipped the are more submissive but that dosent make it good for the bass just easyer on the fisherman.

with that said you "can" lip trout but there teeth are a little sharper and longer and can take some skin, the only trout (or any fish) i lip are ones im keeping for the grill.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, I thought their teeth were more agressive then most other fish but I wasn't sure if that was the reason most trout aren't lipped. I guess just your not supposed to touch the fish either cause of oils on your hands can hurt them as well. I might have to invest in getting a net to hold them after being caught.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if you get your hads wet first then you wont remove somuch of there "slime" and dont squeeze them to much it is amazingly easy to break ribs and do internal damage

cheep nets can hurt fish by removing the slime coat as it rubs off on the net i like to hold the fish half out of the water and slip the hook out with forceps the hook comes out easyer if you pinch down the barb also, and then hold the fish into the current till it swims off some times this takes a min for them to "catch there breath"

M

·
0 Posts
When I first moved here I had a tendancy to grab trout by the lip, because that's how we did it with bass in Houston. You "can" do it, as Roadkill said, but it is much harder to get them, because their mouths do not open as wide as a sunfish species, like bass. The teeth would not pose the biggest problem, but with all the flopping around, you are likely to waste time trying to get your thumb in there, which would risk causing the fish injury.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You can try a pair of Boga Grips. They work really well on all species. They're super strong and you don't have to touch the fish at all if your planning to catch and release.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts