Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Little kids, big gills

1K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Opry99er 
#1 · (Edited)
My niece and nephew are in town for a few days, and they don't get to fish much... I wanted to take them out and catch some fish today, and so we did just that, "braving" the elements on a 50 degree day. ;) We found a nice pocket of panfish and none were under 9". That's a nice feeling.

Biggest of the day was Keira's. It was her second fish ever, and she caught a whopper at 11" and over a pound and a half. Pretty fun on ultralight gear.

:)

They really had fun,, and I had a blast watching them have fun. There is TRULY nothing more pure than the joy of a kid experiencing the outdoors.

See less See more
#7 ·
um ... those gills look so big, they look fake. haha, i want a turn!

#17 ·
My niece and nephew are in town for a few days, and they don't get to fish much... I wanted to take them out and catch some fish today, and so we did just that, "braving" the elements on a 50 degree day. ;) We found a nice pocket of panfish and none were under 9". That's a nice feeling.

Biggest of the day was Keira's. It was her second fish ever, and she caught a whopper at 11" and over a pound and a half. Pretty fun on ultralight gear.

They really had fun,, and I had a blast watching them have fun. There is TRULY nothing more pure than the joy of a kid experiencing the outdoors.[/QUOTE]

^^^ Amen! Good to hear from you boss. Holy crap that's buck? He leaving for college soon? I hit that lake we iced last winter the other day. Couldn't find the brooks but a tiger and 3 cuttys? Wtf. Hope you and yours are well

#18 ·

They really had fun,, and I had a blast watching them have fun. There is TRULY nothing more pure than the joy of a kid experiencing the outdoors.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear from you boss. Holy crap that's buck? He leaving for college soon? I hit that lake we iced last winter the other day. Couldn't find the brooks but a tiger and 3 cuttys? Wtf. Hope you and yours are well

#21 ·
You should see the shellcrackers. Some 12"ers in there.

The cats range from a pound up to 6 pounds (at least that's the biggest I've caught in there) and the bass range from fry up to about 22".

There are at least two White Amur in there as well... They're at least 30 pounds each from seeing them up close in the shallows. Monsters.

#22 ·
You should see the shellcrackers. Some 12"ers in there.

The cats range from a pound up to 6 pounds (at least that's the biggest I've caught in there) and the bass range from fry up to about 22".

There are at least two White Amur in there as well... They're at least 30 pounds each from seeing them up close in the shallows. Monsters.
If I had a pond like that I would make it a point to catch every fish species on all the lures I own. I would be strictly targeting cats with lures

#23 ·
I'd like to see someone catch one of those grassers... Just not me. :)

The thing that sucks (if anything could suck about having a sport pond in your back yard) is that I am permanently afraid of hurting these fish. They're all pristine specimens, all healthy and such... And they belong to someone else. I don't know if I ever posted on it, but a month or so ago, I hooked a cat deep in the gullet. It died while I was trying to get the hook out... And believe me, I tried.

I took it home, fileted it, put the two filets in a bag and put a few ozs of fish fry mixture in another bag, then walked to his house and give it to him with my apologies for killing his fish.

That takes much of the fun out of fishing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.