Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I got to go out by myself after the kids went to bed.

PDC, but hey.... The fish were biting, and it was fun.

3 bass on the red-head white curlytail in the bass pic...

2 bluegill, both around 9-10 inches long, both on a bit of crawler fished weightless on the bottom near brush.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...

In many cases, the 10-11 inch gills up here seem to weigh more than the 15-16" largemouth. You can't see it in this pic, but that gill is incredibly thick and meaty...

Bass get big here, but they also get eaten alot. Here, it as acceptable to eat a LMB as a perch or crappie.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Not horrible, but definitely are not as good as crappie, walleye, perch or catfish. I'd rate them about the same a trout (not something I'd go out of my way to eat). JMHO

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have to respectfully disagree... They have a similar flavor and texture to bluegill and other members of the sunfish family. I love to eat LMBs. :)

White bass, however, do not taste like those others. I might equate their taste to trout... still good if cleaned and cooked properly. :)

Matter of preference I guess. Ive eaten probably 8-10 largemouth bass in the past year... all were awesome. :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
No offense taken Opry. My pallet is slightly spoiled from lots of crappie and catfish growing up back east.

Perhaps if I knew a good way to cook them now that I'm 40 years older they may taste great!!! As for trout.... Unless they are brookies caught and cooked by the stream you can have all those you like my friend.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brookies, 5 minutes out of the water, fried or grilled next to the water's edge.... money.

I usually do the same breading on the bass as I do my gills and crappie...

1/2 cornmeal, 1/2 flour, paprika, salt, and black pepper to taste. occasionally a little garlic powder. ;)

Crappie are basically unmatched for fresh-water fish (maybe walleye?) but beyond those two; gills, shellcrackers, and LMB/SMB are all on that next tier along with small fresh channel cat. :)

And again... and as you seconded... it is all a matter of taste. :)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I would have to respectfully disagree... They have a similar flavor and texture to bluegill and other members of the sunfish family. I love to eat LMBs. :)
Kill and eat them all! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'll have to give that recipe a try Opry. Although C&R of bass is my norm; it may be worth keeping one just to try. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, we usually C&R most fish we catch too. :)

I just take that mixture, rinse the filets and leave them damp, roll em in the mixture and then into 350 degree oil. Depending on the thickness of the filets, it usually doesnt take more than a minute or so to cook through. Thicker filets, maybe a minute and a half.

On meat quality, I'd be willing to bet that the lifestyle of the bass makes a huge difference in taste and texture. Stream bass versus muddy pond bass: youre likely to tell a huge difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts