Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Live Bait fish, LARGE

6K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  1eyered 
#1 ·
What are the sources for live bait fish in the LARGE category. [large meaning, for example, finger size and bigger?

Otherwise, if critters other than fish, what is available for live bait and where to get it?

#28 ·
koni said:
CHRIS said:
Koni, I wouldn't fish the river there due to the sewage plant further up stream releasing water into it, lot's of floaties if you know what I mean. Next time your in the area just take a wiff.
;D Ha Ha Ha!!! Hey thanks for reminding me of that...we did get a big wiff as we walked under the bridge there...to me it was kinda a creepy looking area anyway.
How do you think those fish got so big!

#30 ·
Not from eatting floating terds if that's what you mean. They stock the lakes with fish every year, from what i was told, and never allowed fishing there till last year. The fish are big because they have been in there a long time, and have had time to grow.

#32 ·
You know if I was to use perch I'd take a trip upto Blue Mesa and try to take some threw the ice. There is a no bag limit on perch at Blue Mesa, if you do think about it perch threw the ice are usually taken right on the bottom.

#33 ·
I just gotta say that i am excited about my worm farm! ;D It is doing great so far, i took out about 24 good sized worms from it to take with us on Tues. out to Union, had some left so i put them back into the farm and they took no time at retreating underground.

My worm farm is made out of a converted fish tank, filled with worm soil, cardboard sheets, and shredded paper. It has a mesh bottom to it for drainage. I keep it in the basement where its cool and dark, and so far the worms are growing pretty nicely.

#36 ·
FishingKats,

Come come now. Bananas, for real? Are you having us on a bit?

(and are you gonna give me a hint on where the really big Cats are down there at John Martin, the River....nudge nudge)

Let's see, I've got ...mmm....lunch....tackle....mmm.....bag of gold?

#38 ·
I found this article on how people use worms in thier compost pile, anyway, 1 pound of worms decomposes 1/2 pound of food scraps, like vegetable food scraps, potatoe peelings, orange peelings, old bread, tea and coffee grounds etc. So yeah, bananas would work for sure.

#40 ·
Has anyone here ever heard of or tried fishing with gold fish as bait? I don't know if that's legal or not, never heard anyone here mention it, and most people use them as pets, but carp are part of the gold fish family, but i do know of people who use them to catch big flatheads.

#43 ·
MINNOW: Members of families of fish classified Cyprinidae (carp, chub, dace, goldfish, minnow,
shiner, stoneroller and tench) Cyprinodontidae (killifish, topminnow) and Clupeidae (gizzard shad)
except those designated as nongame, threatened or endangered.
That is from the colorado fishing regulations it claims goldfish as a minnow thus it should be legal to use as bait. I use to use them for bass bait, free line them hook them threw the bottom lip up and out the top lip cast them and leave the bail open and they swim around. You can tell when a fish/bass takes them as the line shoots out the end of the pole simply close the bail and set the hook. I have stopped using goldfish as bait because they can cause more harm then good and I did not know this at the time that I used them. They arn't just minnows like a few states classify them as. They are know carriers of lots of diseases the most common one being an ulcer disease. I dont know much about the spread of disease in fish and waterways but I would rather not risk it if you know what I mean.

#44 ·
Thanks for the info on goldfish. I don't know anything about fish diseases, except disease in fish hatcheries where fish are crammed in pens too closely, carry some sort of skin disease, that gets passed to other fish that are just swimming past the hatchery. Saw that on TV one night. I have never used gold fish myself so was just wondering.

#45 ·
I never fished the south platte by the ponds on 88th but knew a guy who did when I was younger. I was also told once by a ranger at barr lake that you could fish it and it has trout. The only trout I could think of are "brown trout" and not the german ones. Maybe some red and white mice too. But those ponds seem to be doing great. Eveytime I go by, the parking lot is packed.

#46 ·
ePiC said:
That is from the colorado fishing regulations it claims goldfish as a minnow thus it should be legal to use as bait.
Goldfish are indeed in the minnow family, the same as carp. They are gold when they're little, but big, old ones turn a very deep brick red. I have caught some 20 pounders out of Lake Erie.

Not that I recommend traveling to Lake Erie for goldfish! :)

#47 ·
i found that some pet store can order any size shinner thru their suppliers and if you sweet talk them they might order them for you you just have to take the minimum order that is usualy 1 pound the 3-4 inch shinners go about 300-600 per pound and a pound can usualy be had for round 20 bucks then you have to have a place to keep them

im working on a large tank with filters to keep them and will be investing in some large shinners soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.