Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you are not supposed to use live bait over a certain altitude.. Do water dogs go against those rules or just minnows etc?
I have tried to find out but no one knows..If anyone knows the answer i would appreciate your help..
people use them at 11mile so i was just wondering..

Stay dry and on top of the water

D

·
0 Posts
fishhardwater said:
I know you are not supposed to use live bait over a certain altitude.. Do water dogs go against those rules or just minnows etc?
You can't use live minnows or other baitfish in waters above 7,000 feet or anywhere west of the Continental Divide. Other kinds of live bait are legal such as worms, crickets, grasshoppers, crawdads, mealworms, waxworms, leeches, and, yes, waterdogs. A lot of people fish live waterdogs through the ice for pike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i use them for. I just didnt want to get in trouble so i appreciate your help.. I kind of thought it was baitfish but thought id check..

see you on the ice

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
a walking/swimming piece of snot!

its salamander/tadpole thing

·
Registered
648 Posts
so its legal to use live bait in lakes above 7,000 feet as long as the regs dont say "Artificial Flies and Lures Only", if this is true you can use anything thats not a minnow/fish of anykind, so its legal to fish antero with say waterdogs, crayfish etc.

J

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't fish Antero with waterdogs....honestly they are expensive and it would be a waste of money. If you want to fish them in South Park do it at Elevenmile or (in a couple years) at Tarryall. Fish them for pike! (they also work for lake trout).

I heard from a pet store owner that waterdogs are going up in price. Apparently, high schools are using waterdogs for dissection instead of frogs these days and it's driving up their price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts