Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fly fish all summer and catch buckets of trout. I took up ice fishing for a couple reasons. First. I am bored stiff in the winter months and second, I want a big pike. Now, I keep hearing there are good dead bait and jigs for pike. I don't fully agree. I am convinced live bait is always better, no exceptions. I have had some fun with waterdogs,and I would like to continue fishing them, but they are hard to find. I would be very interested in anyone's opinion on good pike bait, but I am most interested in a good reliable place to purchase dogs all winter.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The joy of ice fishing. I think its more how you use/work it. Last year we were all (4) of us using meal worm tipped jigs, we caught trout up to 20", several perch and a few crappie not bad you say. Here is the mind blower one of the guys nailed a 12# channel cat on this same bait, can you say holy catfish head coming out of that hole!!! So stick with what you know and work it different and change it up. In other words just go fish. I hear some guys breed water dogs just for the winter days. You may want to consider setting up something like that for next year. Live bait does tend to rule. Do you want a fake T-bone or a real one?

He dont want no T-bone he wants pike!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Dorsal Fin said:
I fly fish all summer and catch buckets of trout. I took up ice fishing for a couple reasons. First. I am bored stiff in the winter months and second, I want a big pike. Now, I keep hearing there are good dead bait and jigs for pike. I don't fully agree. I am convinced live bait is always better, no exceptions. I have had some fun with waterdogs,and I would like to continue fishing them, but they are hard to find. I would be very interested in anyone's opinion on good pike bait, but I am most interested in a good reliable place to purchase dogs all winter.
Lots of luck on that one. waterdogs are a very hard to find bait.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did drive up to Denver a bought a few dogs. I am covered for a couple trips anyway. I have found bulk dealers too, but most want a large order to bother shipping. I really dont want to deal with 50 or 100 dogs. My wife won't see the value in good bait. A dozen or so is my limit, any more will likely get me kicked out of the house. I assume it is against the law to resale and there is also a possession limit from CDW. I would like to find some people to split an order after Christmas. They are $2.50 to $3 each with shipping. I live in Colorado Springs.
Email if your interested [email protected]

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Outlaw in the springs pretty much has waterdogs all the time....
He supplies pretty much all the bait in Colorado.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't checked this week, but Outlaw has not had dogs so far this season. There is some issue with sick water dogs holding up permits from DOW.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Outlaw baits ran out of waterdogs late last year due to the same sickness that was mentioned. And being one of the only distributors of dogs he has a hard time keeping enough of them. He does carry most bait live or dead so a great place to look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts