Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a dozen. They are in about two gallons of water, in an ice chest to keep them cold. Will they last until tomorrow? No aerator.

·
Registered
170 Posts
im wondering the same. I have had luck keeping them in 5 gallon buckets about half full but usually a few die. I caught bout 8 this afternoon from behind my house so I am with you on that.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
If kept cold they should. Sometimes if you just keep them out of water completely and just mist them with like a spray bottle every now and then, they stay alive too. But once again, they must be cold. I've kept them alive this way for a week before, but never got to keeping them longer. I usually end up just releasing them if I feel I wont use them for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Try this, live lobster are often shipped out of water. (very expensive to ship water) Place the crawdads in a 4-5 inch deep storage bin, add about half an inch of water then put newspaper in it. As long as they can keep their tails damp (i hear the gills are on them) they live quite a while.

Dan

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Tap Water is not good for them i have over 100 from monday that my friend caught without water just in a box in the frig. Still alive we pull tree leaves i dont know if it really helps but thats what we do.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Hooknline is right about the tap water. I usually bring crawdads home with a little water in a bucket and use that water. If I keep them for more than a few days I change the paper and put in fresh water from my pond in the back yard.

Dan

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based on what you all are saying, I decided they might lose all of their oxygen in that little bit of water, so I put them in a very small cooler, with just a liitle of the same water and newspaper. Now they can stay wet and breathe from the air, and they are in a bigger cooler of ice. I agree, no tap water!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've caught some tonite and am going to fish with them at Glendo this weekend. Do I really need to keep them alive? I was just going to rip their tails of and take them fishing with me in a bucket. Will that not work? Let me know soon so i know what to do in the morning.

Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to do the same, but I decided to try to keep them fresh. Somebody with more experience than me suggested that fresher meat is more attractive to the wipers, but if you just take the tails, I would think you are fine.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
So has Pescado Loco become Cangrejos Loco now? (hee hee!) But seriously, my wife's cousin used to be a bait dealer, and he told me what to do when my crawdads kept dying on me. Put them in a bucket of water, but only enough water to come halfway up their sides. Just enough to keep their gills wet. If you cover them with a lot of water, they die.

I tried it, and it worked.

W. E.

P. S. Cangrejos = crawdad

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I always keep mine at room temp (maybe warmer they in the garage) in the fish tank, aerated though. Feed them a chunk of hotdog every other day and they last until I use them. I've had 2 out of probably 30 or 40 die.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The crawfish places in Louisiana ship them in large burlap sacks and just keep them cool and damp. 40 pounds of crawdads from there to Denver will arrive with very few dead. If you have leftovers after your trip, boil them and eat them, they're awesome!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sorry to jump into this topic but I need some help. Does anyone know where I can catch some crawdads? I lived in Westminster and don't know any place close by. Thanks for any info.

lovetofish

·
Registered
988 Posts
Actually if you let the tap water set for 24 hrs the chlorine goes way. It then can be used for the crawdads and acts like pond water.

I have two 20 gal tanks in my basement with air. That way when I catch alot I can just store them there. I just feed them them once a week and they live forever as long as you maintain the water. This is great for spur of the moment type of deal.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Wheelman said:
I've caught some tonite and am going to fish with them at Glendo this weekend.  Do I really need to keep them alive?  I was just going to rip their tails of and take them fishing with me in a bucket.  Will that not work?  Let me know soon so i know what to do in the morning.

Thanks
From what I've experienced... Wipers like em fresh. I've actually experienced with two rods. One with a crayfish that's been dead for several hours and the other rod rigged with a tail from a freshly peeled one. The rod with fresh crayfish tail got more hits. I actually tested this several times. Same goes from those pretty looking purplish red live crawdads bought from the Asian Supermarket. Those don't get hits like the crayfish caught from local ponds and creeks.

As for catfish, however.. It's a whole different story. If you've got em' fresh or dead, they work! ;D

·
Registered
988 Posts
I think the smell is different. You can really tell if you compare the two. Strange how them wipers know. I've eaten both kinds and they both taste the same to me.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Fisher32 so u just leave them in there do with the water just normal? It doesnt get to hot for them? If you could give me details of exactly how u do it, man i throw away alot of crawfish now i need some.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts