Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up an 8 wt for the above species. Not looking to drop a crap ton of money for something that I'll only whip out once in awhile. Is an 8 wt overkill for LMB? I fish Big Mac a ton and have been dreaming of a wiper on the fly. 8 wt just right?! I may be taking a trip to either Alaska or Costa Rica this summer and will be taking this with me.

Cabela's has the Echo Ion on sale for $110 for an 8 wt and I plan on pairing it up with a Redington Behemoth (reel trade in at BPS next week!). This setup will cost $200 which is pretty damn slick in terms of $$$.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

DT

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you are planning on taking trips you might consider a "travel rod" - one that breaks down into four or five pieces. I bought a Reddington 8wt rod while I was traveling back and forth from Portland to Orlando quite a bit back at the end of my militry career. It was relatively cheap (can't remember what I paid for it now) but it was worth having a rod that I could carry on with me rather than trusting to the bozo's who handled check baggage.

The rationale for the 8wt was for use on steelhead as well as any saltwater fish I might get on the Banana River in Florida. Now I keep it for bass and pike fishing. Might be a bit of overkill for bass but works just fine for pike.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Since the title is LMB, SMB, Walleye and Wiper I would definitely say that an 8 wt. is not overkill. I almost always use the 7/8 wt or my 9wt for all these species. Just the possibility of hooking into a wiper while fishing for the others is justification enough for the bigger rod.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
If you are planning on catching wiper with your fly rod, get at least an 8... I use my 10wt too and it's not overkill for wiper. For bass, an 8wt is perfect. Casting the right stuff is the toughest part, so getting a bigger stick is not gonna hurt you.

I would recommend you try out the TFO TICRx before you buy the Echo. I am not familliar with the Ion, but there is NEVER a time when the differences in rods will glare more than when tossing big stuff. The TFO is a good rod that casts big flies great. It's got the power to do what you want.

Wiper on the fly is a freakin BLAST!! I will say this, as strong as they are, they really tire out faster when fought on the long rod. The length of the rod never stops applying pressure and it just wears the fish out. It's a blast.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Let us know how you like the Ion if you go that route da_teacher. I too am thinking about an 8wt, leaning towards a tfo bvk, 280$, based on rave reviews.

8wt a match for pike? or 10wt?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you are planning on catching wiper with your fly rod, get at least an 8... I use my 10wt too and it's not overkill for wiper. For bass, an 8wt is perfect. Casting the right stuff is the toughest part, so getting a bigger stick is not gonna hurt you.

I would recommend you try out the TFO TICRx before you buy the Echo. I am not familliar with the Ion, but there is NEVER a time when the differences in rods will glare more than when tossing big stuff. The TFO is a good rod that casts big flies great. It's got the power to do what you want.

Wiper on the fly is a freakin BLAST!! I will say this, as strong as they are, they really tire out faster when fought on the long rod. The length of the rod never stops applying pressure and it just wears the fish out. It's a blast.
For sure man. I found a TFO Axiom on Craigs, brand new for I think $170 but it's a 9 wt. Last year, I took my cheapie fly rod out about ten times -- I caught small LMB, crappie, bluegills, and stocker trout. Was pretty fun. But again, only took it out maybe ten times. I do want to fly fish a bit more but mainly just on lakes -- take the spinning or baitcast plus the fly rod on my outings. Take it with me to Big Mac and when I'm tired of catching wiper on topwater with my baitcast/spinning rods, I'll toss out a fly. LOL

I have a $100 gift card to Cabelas -- that would make the Ion $10 plus tax. I have a Bass Pro reel that I hate -- I'm going to return that/exhange it for the Redington Behemoth. That's a straight swap -- should be an even trade.

So for a decent 8 wt set-up, I can get it for around $10-$20 of my own money minus backing, fly line, etc.

These are always on sale at Cabelas as well: http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/fly-fishing-combo-sale|/pc/105625080/c/661997880/cabela-s-rls-fly-combo/1555116.uts?destination=/browse.cmd?categoryId=661997880

I did visit Discount Tackle as well. There's a pretty cool guy there (Peter/Peter?) that was helping me. they have a pretty good selection. They had their own rods with lifetime warranty -- no brand, no label but that's pretty legit.

What kind of line would you recommend? Can I just use braid as backing? Newb status.

·
Registered
337 Posts
For line, the reason I usually take the 7/8 as well as the 9 wt is because I use different kinds. I have an old Albright reel with spare spool for the 7/8. Fast sink tip on one(9 ips) and slower sink tip on the other(app 4 ips). The slower sink tip is what seems to put my flies in the zone best. The 9 wt rod is the one with my floating line. Usually when you get a fly reel and fly line, the store will load your reel with the line and backing if you ask them to. Usually a small fee for the backing. My reels are big enough for around 200 yards of backing...sometimes you need a lot. I use the same rods for the rare times I get to steelhead fish and salmon fish.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the Echo Ion 8 Weight. Really fast, casts far as hell if your dhaul it. Great grip, cool mat grey color. I fish it in the salt when I'm lucky enough to do so. A long day on the bow casting will make your arm tired as the really fast action requires quick snappy movements.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have a feeling you will be tying your own flies next. Its a good feeling to hook up on one you tie.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a feeling you will be tying your own flies next. Its a good feeling to hook up on one you tie.
And building my own rods. Smh. My poor wife and kid's college fund. Ha ha

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good thread! I have been shopping around for a 7wt to do some carp/bass/streamer fishing.

I have fished for bass with my 5wt with no issues so I am leaning towards a 7wt so it is more of a versatile rod. Than I will have most of my bases covered with a 3,5 and 7 wt rod.

Have heard of good things on the Echo rods as well as the TFO BVK- both seem priced about right for how much I will be using them.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I am going to second the TFO rods. I have a tfo 5 and 8 wt. I have used the 8 wt for bass, pike, carp and night fishing with big streamers and mice for trout. I have never felt that it was too much stick for throwing any kind of streamer. There have been some times when i wanted something like a 10wt for punching into the wind. But then usually the guys chucking metal were also packing it up do to the wind...

I have used the warranty from TFO several times on my 5 wt. They always get it back fast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts