Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some recent largemouth I've got on my swimbait. All local, all public, none at Quincy, no bed fish. None on hotdogs or marshmallows.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Very nice fish SS... I too have had success on a similar swimbait! What is the lightest hook you throw with yours?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Nice basses dude. Whatcha got against fighin hot dogs & marshmallows?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Please support your local bait maker ! Hit him up for some baits!

Lol hater, that marshmello bite was original and memorable haha good times.

Fishstick he makes them, he is friendly with us rice eating folks hit him up. Or tell Dan and John to let me know I'll get you some.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice fish and baits! you sure, no powerbait scent or anything?
I keep them in a bag of Kraft® marshmallows.

Hogs! What size & type of lure is that?
That is a bait I make called a Stilletto. Yeah, I'm aware "stilletto" is misspelled, but I like the spelling I use, as it is descriptive of the bait. It is a very subtle bait with a different tail movement than most. It is right at seven inches (a great size for catching numbers) and two ounces when rigged on a 6/0 Owner Beast Hook, the hook I designed the bait around. It is weedless, and will come un-fouled through anything short of pure snot (that fibrous algae that has been proliferating in local waters)

So not a huge bait, but not small either. Normal heavy bass gear works for it, though I do use my swimbait setups.

Very nice fish SS... I too have had success on a similar swimbait! What is the lightest hook you throw with yours?
I only use the 6/0 Owner Beast hook, but I will sometimes remove the lead from the shank of the hook, for example I use the bait on matted grass in place of a frog at times, and weightless hooks work best then. You can wake it a super low speeds with the weightless hook as well.

I know a few guys are using the 7/0 Trokar on it, and getting good results. That hook is 3/8ths oz I think, so a bit heavier than the hook I use.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
SWEET!!!!

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I store my stilettos in grade B syrup. 9 out of 10 choosey bass prefer flapjacks. educate1 :thumb:

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you miss many hits with it rigged weedless?
Actually, not at all. The mass in the bait is concentrated up front, it tapers down pretty skinny toward the tail. All the hits are head shots, the bait just folds up and they choke it. I've caught some one pound smallies on it where the entire bait was in the fishes mouth. I do find offsetting the hook helps a bit, both with the hookup ratio and if it is hooked a little crooked, you can make the bait swim better by tweaking the hook to the left or right and it will straighten up. The downside of a real skinny bait is that it is sensitive to rigging errors. A big fat bait or a bottom hooked bait is going to swim right regardless, but then they can't come through cover as well and the hookup ratio suffers a lot. I land about seven out of ten bites on my bait, which sounds poor, but if you ever fished an Optimum you know it is really good.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Some recent largemouth I've got on my swimbait. All local, all public, none at Quincy, no bed fish. None on hotdogs or marshmallows.

LOL!

Did ya get any game fish?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts