Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Iraq right now and I will be home Soon!!!!.I am Looking to fish for Perch.Could Someone tell me were to find a good perch Lake on the Eastern Slope. I Have caught them in Pikeveiw 2 years ago and damn they taste good.I would like more info.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
My roommate is still in Iraq, Do you live in the Springs? Quail lake and Pikeview I'm told have perch but I havent seen any caught this year. Here are some more:
Aurora Res
Quincy Res
Bear Creek Res
Chatfield Res
Cherry Creek Res
Brush Hollow
Pueblo Res
Standley Lake

There are many more but those should keep you busy and arent super far from Colorado Springs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I can't help you too much on the perch. Sometimes the best place to find good ones are those little ponds that no one seems to know the name of. Growing up I used to catch gobs of big perch in the Englewood Golf Course water hazards. Generally I try to stay away from perch unless I need catfish bait.

As a blue blooded American I want to thank you for your service to our country in Iraq. Much has been said about this war and I am sure there is much we do no know. I do know that I am greatful to you and all others who have left behind family, friends and careers in many cases. May God bring you home safely and bless you with incredible fishing success upon your return!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
amen to all that said below

and the only perch ive cught are from the chatfield dog ponds and wuincy, which is closed for winter

good luck and all that

stay safe

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Golf courses? do they allow fishing on them,and which ones

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Aurora is loaded with Perch! If we get safe ice this year the Perch fishing will be great!

Like the other guys said, thanks for your service and have a safe trip home!!!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks looking forward to getting home,Ice Fishing?are they hard to catch in that Lake?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
No. That flats off of Marina and Senac coves are always good. They can be from 6-20" deep depending on the day. You have to wade through alot of small fish to get to the 8-10" keepers. Lots of nice trout availble there also!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does the Ice get thick enough for SAFE ice fishing?I heard of people falling though at chatfield

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Chatfield gets safe ice on it. If the winter is mild the center of the lake may not freeze over. But the coves get 6-10 inches of ice on them. Last winter was pretty mild and the ice did not get very thick. and only lasted about 5-6 weeks. (freeze up was just a couple days before Xmas and the lake opened for boating on February 14th or so.)

Be sure to send out a friend you don't like in front of you to test the ice. Be sure to carry all appropriate safety equipment on yourself!

Dan

·
Registered
765 Posts
16fttracker said:
Golf courses? do they allow fishing on them,and which ones
They do if you work there and care to dodge golf balls during your lunch break. I'd rather do that than dodge bullets and bombs! I caught tons of bluegill and sunfish. Sometime those water hazards harbor some big bass as well. I caught a 5 pounder one day.

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
I fished some of them for Walleyes after dark a few years back...make sure you wear a rain suit...those high power sprinklers come on and can get you pretty wet if you arent prepared...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Boyd Lake in Loveland has lots of 7-9 inches yellow perch and they are pretty easy to catch with little piece of worm. God bless you and all our men and women overthere.

lovetofish

·
Registered
217 Posts
16fttracker said:
I am in Iraq right now and I will be home Soon!!!!.I am Looking to fish for Perch.Could Someone tell me were to find a good perch Lake on the Eastern Slope. I Have caught them in Pikeveiw 2 years ago and damn they taste good.I would like more info.
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Crawford State Park on the western slope is stacked with 'em!  We caught hundreds on a four day trip last year, and half of what we caught were keeper size (8" +).  The bonus is that there is NO LIMIT!  REALLY!!

There is also no limit on Blue Mesa for perch, but I have never tried it.  Call the local bait shop in Gunnison and see what they say.

Regardless of what anyone's political views may be, it's really irrellevant.  THANK YOU for your willingness to provide your service, and risk your life, for our great nation.  If you ever wanna fish, send me a PM.  I would be honored...

p.s. where is Pikeview?

·
Registered
935 Posts
16fttracker said:
douglas lake were is it
Douglas is a few miles north of Fort Collins. It's got some perch in it, but rare to catch many over 7".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts