Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the gravel pit pond by the intersection of shields and the poudre river.  Saw several bass cruising the shallows.  Had a couple good nibbles.  One fish put on a pretty good fight but I did not set the hook correctly.  Caught one small bass while casting into some fallen branches and cat-tails.  I bit off an inch or two from a senko and fished that with my ultra-lite rod....I can see why bass like em.    Fishing still slow.....come on spring!!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think I've been to that pond before back in the fall. I didn't think there was anything in there since I never saw any action what so ever the couple of times I went. I'm also surprised they were even crusing for how cool its been and the snow we've had. I agree, come on spring! I want my bass fishing!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup that is the one..north shields pond. Its such a small pond..it should warm up fast. While I havnt pulled any bass out of this pond that are pic worthy, I have caught a good amount of bluegills and such that are of descent size....majority of the ponds I fish are overpopulated and have stunted gills.

The trash there is bad....line...pop cans....worm containers.....hook packages...ect. People who litter should have cement blocks tied to their extremities and tossed into our local ponds to provide game fish with a nice habitat and optional food source!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I checked this place out yesterday afternoon for the first time. I like it. It is a neat little pond. Got one bite on a X-rap but that was it. I don't know if I fish my senkos right but I have never had any luck with them.

I agree on the garbage. I picked up a bunch of mono on the ground.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can still get plenty of bass right now by slowing everything down. The
local pond is giving up plenty of fish by using senkos, jigs and crankbaits
fished as slow as possible, with some pauses. :)

M

·
0 Posts
Hatch, for me the trick has always been...there is no wrong way to fish a senko, but always fish slower than you think you need to. It is ok if the worm is just chillin on the bottom for awhile, the bass will take it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I fished this pond a couple of years ago. Caught some nice bass on the southweast corner in the downed trees. We used to have a good time using stinkbait for the cats in there. I remember one night, there was a full moon and we headed out around midnight. Between three of us we caught about 25 fish or so. One nice one was almost 22". Lots of good memories :)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Posted by: Mustang Posted on: Today at 08:22:25 PM
Insert Quote
Hatch, for me the trick has always been...there is no wrong way to fish a senko, but always fish slower than you think you need to. It is ok if the worm is just chillin on the bottom for awhile, the bass will take it.
As soon as it warms up I'll give it another go. Should I be using a weight or not?

M

·
0 Posts
i dont...i like to whacky rig them...straight hook right through the middle...it looks funny, but it works, i used to know a site about rigging senkos, ill look for it, but personally i dont like using any weight

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most of the plastics you will use (like Senkos) are heavy enough for ponds. They whole idea around senkos in particular is the way they slowly flutter down. I would think a weight would take away some of that.....

Just my 2 cents..

Pondfisher

·
Registered
578 Posts
Pondfisher said:
Most of the plastics you will use (like Senkos) are heavy enough for ponds.  They whole idea around senkos in particular is the way they slowly flutter down.  I would think a weight would take away some of that.....

Just my 2 cents..

Pondfisher
I have to agree with you! Using weights, in my opinion, ruins the action of a senko.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mustang said:
i used to know a site about rigging senkos
Do a search on this forum for "senko" I found some good links for rigging that include videos. I rig my senkos "texposed" style which is pretty much texas style with the hook point all the way through. I don't use weight...the idea with the senko is that it falls horizontally very slowly and you give it a twitch here and there, sort of jigging it to you...make it dance and flutter. I didn't have any luck with fishing plastic worms until I tried the senkos, great stuff.

With the x-rap, senkos, even topwater plugs and floating rapalas in the summer, the key with bass is the pause. bass love to nail something the second they see it break away from a steady rhythm. They'll hit jigs on the fall (as they're sinking) and do this with any lure that's retrieved steadily...just pause, let it fall for a second and if there's been a bass following it and thinking about it, BAM!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts