Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with any reports on local walleye reports. Will be going out with a client from Florida on weds. the 27th. He has heard alot about the walleye fishing in Denver from another guy in our office and wants to catch a few. How have the local Denver lakes been hitting? Chatfield, Cheery Creek or Boyd are the most likely for me to go to.

Anyone been getting anything? Oh Ya lets keep that last one to just fishing!!

Thanks
JT

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey JT,
You can go and try the outlet at Chatfield if you want walleye. If the water is still running it would be good. If not fish along the damn at night from shore walk along it and cast out grubs or any rapala lures that u might have. I prefer yozuri's because they always work for me i use the 3D shad rap at sportsmen there about 7 dollars a pop. Chatfield is the only place i heard of that is good now. You can also fish them using shinners or minnows by the tower on the damn i heard that is also good. But remeber the Lake has a size limit of 18 inches and the outlet there's no size limit. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
JT,

Chatfield is my primary water. I have been out during the day and at night though lately not so much during the day. (way to hot) The last couple of times I have been out at night my best success has been around the sunken roadbed and bridge and just south on an area 17-19 feet deep. I found using leeches just bounced off the bottom on a heavy jig have been working ok. I have been doing this at a drift, anchored or a very slow troll. (less than 1 mph)

I have also had some success between the swim beach and Massey Draw. Using the same technique and also a crawler harness, around 20 feet deep. I have had success there too, but not as great as the road bed.

The best times are from sunset on with the latest I have stayed being midnight. If you are out during the day I have seen an increase in activity when the waves kick-up with an approaching storm (classic walleye chop).

Hope this is helpful.

Dan

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey TJ,
            How are ya, You can hire Mr. Bobby Hix for a day on the water.
He has been networking with a group of us an knows whats up. It a good write off for ya ;D
                                or

Give me a call and I'll put you on a pattern we have been using. Bob is out of town until Thursday.
Hope your summer is going well for ya. Take care,
                                 The Masterbaiter

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i hired bob hix once and caught a crappie and a couple of 7 inch smallies all in about 5 hours and it only cost me $200. for 5 hours at chatfield.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jamie,
How did the rest of the fisherman do? also think about the grear you used. 30K boat, 2K + in sonar, 1 K in rods & reels and 5 hours of fishing and training for 200.00.

Think about this, say you have a boat and gear @60K you go out 50x what does that work out to be everytime you take your boat out.(only)

Fishing is not about catching fish all the time
I hope next time you, re out with who ever you choose you get into them.
Happy Fishing

·
0 Posts
Pay somebody to go fishing? :mad: I wouldn't! What is the point? Save your money. At 200 a pop I don't think it would take too long to afford your own boat and you could be an expert too.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i took my girlfriend out then hoping to get into some walleye's and to learn how to catch them,all the training i got was how to fish a minnow under a bobber, no trolling, no bottom bouncing.no walleye's. that was a couple of years ago and i've since then learned all those things, and now my buddy has an 18 ft tracker so the boat issue is not an issue. now my girl catches more fish than i do in open water???

·
Registered
943 Posts
I WOULD HIRE BERNIE KEEFE UP AT GRANBY JUST TO LEARN A COUPLE OF SPOTS AND SOM TRICKS HE USES. IM THINKING ABOUT THAT AS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yuzuri master, Dan Masterbaiter,

Thanks for all the info. I have not fished Colorado waters for over a month. Sounds Like I will be heading down to Chatfield. It looks like alot of the spots you fish Dan I have marked also on my GPS. Hopefully this cold front moves out in time.

How are the leaches at the bait shops doing?

Thanks
JT

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fished Seminoe Res. north of Rawlins, WY this weekend. Had good sucess on eye's, drifting or slow trolling live bait rigs(leeches or crawlers). There is no size limit at the lake. We were catching 14" to 16" consistantly. We released a bunch and ate a bunch. I understand Seminoe is not local for you and your client, however, from northern colorado its about a 2-1/2 to 3 hr drive. It was my first time at Seminoe, and wow what a great lake. It reminded me alot of Lake Of The Ozarks, very large. Other fisherman were after rainbows, which seemed like average size of 16" to 22".
If any of you have not been to Seminoe, I recommend you do.

Good Fishin!!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hey flounder, did you hear anything about a 21lb'er caught a few weeks ago (there's another thread about it.) What part of the lake did you fish? I've never been there, heard it's pretty good size.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its been fair to good at Pueblo but fish are running smaller than earlier. The average size is around16 inches.

·
Registered
234 Posts
TJ,
Looks like I didn't clear out my GPS when I built that Map card for your lowrance. ::) They are spring spots but will be good in the fall again.
Good luck out there... be save . Lots of player out there on the weekends

·
Registered
83 Posts
jonny019,
Yeh, we had a game warden stop by to see our catch and check our license, he said a 21lb. fish was landed a few weeks ago. The big news is he said during a pro walleye touney a week ago, he was told there was a fish that weigh close to 30lbs. So what is a world record walleye weight? Anyone?
The campers beside us caught an 18.5lb eye last year, even was carring a picture of it. This lake has some lunkers in it, and I'm really excited to fish it more.

Good Fishin!!!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
flounder said:
jonny019,
Yeh, we had a game warden stop by to see our catch and check our license, he said a 21lb. fish was landed a few weeks ago. The big news is he said during a pro walleye touney a week ago, he was told there was a fish that weigh close to 30lbs. So what is a world record walleye weight? Anyone?
The campers beside us caught an 18.5lb eye last year, even was carring a picture of it. This lake has some lunkers in it, and I'm really excited to fish it more.

Good Fishin!!!
flounder,

This site claims that the world record walleye weighed 25 lbs and was caught in Tennessee in 1960. I also remember reading in a book about walleyes that the southern strains, in general, grow quite a bit larger than the northern variety.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Yeah, and that 25 lb fish is now considered a hoax? Most people consider a 22 lb walleye caught at Greers ferry in Arkansas as the real world record. It too was one of those southern river strain fish.

The Wyoming record is 17 lbs from Boyson I think? I emailed some freinds up in Cheyenne from Walleye Central to see if they can confirm the 21 lber? As for a 30 lber that is fantasy.

I think Seminole and Pathfinder could produce a Monster or two. They both have millions of stocker trout to snack on. Cold water where fish live longer. And they both are about the same size when full as Greers Ferry!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts