Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a couple of grandkids out for a hike around Lonetree Reservoir Sunday and on the way back we stopped briefly at Lon Hagler reservoir to look it over. I discovered that they had opened the spillway and water was pouring into the lake. "Well, well, well!" says I, "I better come back here tomorrow to see if there are any Tiger Muskies hanging around in that spillway current!"

So I trotted right out there this morning, and spent a few hours with a heavy duty rod casting giant lures into the current. No tigers. Or maybe tigers, but they didn't want anything I had to throw out there. I threw big lures until my arms were about ready to fall off, and gave it up.

The good news -- there are a lot of nice big bass hanging around in the current where I expected tigers. Trout are chasing schools of minnows and jumping out of the water, as well. Fun to watch, and catch. Here are a couple of pics.

Photo 1: this is the Lon Hagler spillway. As you can see, it is nowhere near wide open, but still a lot of clear, oxygenated water making a current out into the lake where normally there is none.

Photo 2: this is one of the bass that was hanging out in the boil of water waiting for food. The rod and reel are not a very good size reference because they are actually quite a bit larger than your normal bass rod. That lure in front of the fish is actually a 6 inch Shad Rap. 3 pounds 10 ounces, 18.5 in.

While I was fishing a DOW truck pulled up and did some stocking in the lake. The guy dumped some huge number -- I don't know the count -- of tiger muskie fingerlings into the lake. Well, maybe fingerlings if you're Magic Johnson! They were about 7 inches long.

Regards, W. E.

F

·
0 Posts
nice looking fish walking eagle ...better send in for a master angler award !!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Good looking bass, I went the whole summer without hooking into my tiger mucky. I didnt fish for them regularly but I probably spent 20+ days trying to get one.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
WE-Real nice bass. And don't feel bad about the tiger muskies-seems like alot of peope "fish" for them but not many guys "catch" them.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I would rather fish for tigers and not get any, than stay home and watch Oprah!

And the tigers haven't won, because I'm not done yet.....

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thats why they call it fishing and not catching

F

·
0 Posts
This is how I look at it ....The time you put in just increases your odds!!!!!!!I'll catch lots of 13-14 inch bass inbetween hawgs but the wait is well worth it....For me thats why the tiger musky is the ultimate colorado gamefish, and I can say this without ever catching a keeper . I've far from put in all my time tiger hunting but im onto a good start with a couple of short strikes . While luck is alway's a part of fishing for me the tiger musky in colorado stands for the no shortcut fish . You can't go to a pay lake or pond and catch one . You also can't really learn to much about them by reading or surfing the web . For the most part since they are somewhat of a new fish first hand knowledge is what you need .You need to get your butt of that couch and learn about this fishes habits . Its like the 8lb rainbows of the frying pan are yuppie fish that a guide can put you on, But not the ever so elusive tiger musky Im gonna call it the blue collar fish . A fish where you need to put in some 8-5's to get rewarded!!!!!!!I havent got my big one yet but im not done workin !!!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fishinguitars said:
This is how I look at it ....The time you put in just increases your odds!!!!!!!
You and I need to have a little talk about probability mathematics -- or else we need to have a nice friendly poker game! Heh, heh....

Actually I agree with you, the tiger is one fish that you have to learn about and catch on your own, because nobody can help you with that, and there's noplace you can go where someone has prepared the way and made it all comfortable and easy for you. Because nobody really knows tiger muskies very well, it's one of the frontiers that nobody has gone ahead and smoothed out for you yet.

W. E.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
fishinguitars said:
This is how I look at it ....The time you put in just increases your odds!!!!!!!
You and I need to have a little talk about probability mathematics -- or else we need to have a nice friendly poker game!  Heh, heh....

Actually I agree with you, the tiger is one fish that you have to learn about and catch on your own, because nobody can help you with that, and there's noplace you can go where someone has prepared the way and made it all comfortable and easy for you.  Because nobody really knows tiger muskies very well, it's one of the frontiers that nobody has gone ahead and smoothed out for you yet.

W. E.
thats the way it should be a chalenge

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I gotta respectfully disagree with you guys. Lets say you go out and fish for tigers and after DAYS on the water all you have to show for it is maybe a sub-legal fish and a couple of short strikes. How long you gonna stay with that. And lets say you finally do catch a legal size fish-after weeks or months of trying. You gonna start fishing all over again for weeks or months for your next bite?

Does anybody on here catch tigers on a regular basis? Really, I'd love to hear from them?

I'm sure they're a great fish to catch but I ain't gonna put my time in on a fish that is that hard to catch. Most of the stories I have heard or read are about a guy fishing for bass or some other species and lucked into a tiger anyway.

Don't mean to come across as grumpy here ;D but I just can't get with the craze.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i here ya kirby. i get so little time to fish now and i have a hard enough time catching dumb fish last thing i want to do is waste my time tageting something that requires so muuch time

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I'm not gonna devote my life to catching those critters, not when there are so many other good fish out there waiting to be caught, but when I get the chance I'll give it a day or two here and there without feeling that I have lost too much.

I have a lot of experience catching pike, but very limited experience with northern muskies. The tigers don't seem to follow the pattern for either one, and that creates a challenge that I just can't completely ignore.

If I learn anything I'll be glad to share it, but don't hold your breath. :)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Kirbydog --- What do you think would happen if one was hooked on a kayak? I've had some trout spin me around, I'm almost scared of catching one in the kayak. :D (I've trolled Pinewood a couple of times for them). I'm w/ you though. I sometimes try for an hour before switching to Trout  or Bass. 

Walking Eagle --- Wicked nice fish !!! Thanks for the info on the fingerling Muskie also. I just asked about that (if they ever stocked em that small) in another post. I've heard "claims" of 12 inch Muskie being caught out of Estes, and wasn't sure wether to believe them. CO F & H just ran a story of a 9 incher (Tiger Muskie) being caught out of 11 Mile. Yes, I said Muskie. :)

C

·
0 Posts
Now that they are putting some water in the fish action should improve as temps go down. There should definitely be some improved chances of catching a tiger out of the spill way now that the water is going. Anyone know when they cut it loose? It may take some time to draw in some fish.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
catmann - I don't know when they opened the gate, I found it going on Sunday, hadn't been there for about 10 days and it was not going then.

Forgot to mention - I ran into a retired former DOW employee out there and talked with him for a while. He said Lon Hagler was full of big crappies, 1 pound and up, but they would not be biting again until the water got colder. About November, he thought. He said you have to walk out to the middle of the dam and climb down the rocks, then toss out a short distance using a slip bobber about 10 feet down. Fish with minnows or a small jig tipped with a piece of night crawler. You can get your limit of large crappies with no trouble at all according to him. You can bet I'm going to try that, haven't had a nice mess of crappies in a long time.

W. E.

Let's see, what's the limit on crappies -- 10, isn't it. Pretty damn stingy if you ask me.

C

·
0 Posts
I hear ya. All the crappies I catch are small. I heard of that method for catching crappie at Lon Hagler before, but have never tried. Maybe we'll cross paths this winter and kill 'em!

·
Registered
578 Posts
james said:
Kirbydog --- What do you think would happen if one was hooked on a kayak? I've had some trout spin me around, I'm almost scared of catching one in the kayak. :D (I've trolled Pinewood a couple of times for them). I'm w/ you though. I sometimes try for an hour before switching to Trout  or Bass. 

Walking Eagle --- Wicked nice fish !!! Thanks for the info on the fingerling Muskie also. I just asked about that (if they ever stocked em that small) in another post. I've heard "claims" of 12 inch Muskie being caught out of Estes, and wasn't sure wether to believe them. CO F & H just ran a story of a 9 incher (Tiger Muskie) being caught out of 11 Mile. Yes, I said Muskie.  :) 
They stock them that small in the Prospect Pond #3 in Fort Collins too. Only 6 or 7 inches.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
catmann29 said:
I hear ya. All the crappies I catch are small. I heard of that method for catching crappie at Lon Hagler before, but have never tried. Maybe we'll cross paths this winter and kill 'em!
I would like that. If your other half comes too, you could take home two limits! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts