Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whent to hagler today caught nothing! There from 12 to 5 only had a few bite's. Any ideas on what to use or were to fish? the water was only 49 degres!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Cant go wrong with worms, powerbait, and salmon eggs, if it isnt fly and lure only. What did you use?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rapales, kastmasters,panther martins, wolly buggers! Bait is allowed! What kind of bait?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Big Kuhuna: (should be spelled Kahuna, shouldn't it?)

I fished along the northwest shore today from 10 a.m. to about 1, caught a dozen rainbows ranging from 12 to 14 inches. No big ones this time, but they are in there. I put out one rod with powerbait on it and then spent most of my time throwing spinners on my ultralight. The powerbait outfished the spinners about 3 to 1, but they did bite on both.

Spinners:
Blue Fox 3/16 oz., brass color. Another guy further down the bank caught 3 or 4 on kastmasters, but I never do any good on those things. A 1/4 oz. Mepps Aglia spinner (the plain looking kind) also worked. When the water warms up another 5° or so a jointed shad rap (JSR-4) will just hammer the trout, at least it did last year.

Bait:
Powerbait in pink, spring green, chartreuse and rainbow, all worked about equally well with a slight edge to the chartreuse, probably because it's lighter in color and easier to see under water. I put on a 3/8 oz. sliding egg sinker, then a snap swivel, then a 12" snell with about a #8 hook on it and a powerbait ball about the size of my little fingernail or a shade larger. Some people put a big ball of bait on which is wrong. The fish will bite on it, but their lips never engage the hook so you miss them. The sliding sinker is very important because you don't want them to feel the weight when they pick up the bait.

Lon Hagler trout are not very attracted to night crawlers for some reason. You can catch a few, but you are more likely to pick up a catfish. At least that's what happens to me.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
were is a good cat spot out there? And a good bait for catfish ;D

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
BIG KUHUNA said:
were is a good cat spot out there? And a good bait for catfish
I catch most of my cats by accident out there since I don't fish for them, and all of my accidents bit on night crawlers.

However -- I watched a guy fishing beside the west boat ramp who caught a 16 pounder, and a week later the same guy came to the same spot and caught another 16 pounder, and he told me he was fishing with shrimp, both times. But maybe that was just his preference, cats everywhere all bite on the same kinds of things, as you probably know.

I have nothing at all against fishing for cats, it's just that my wife is usually after me to bring her home a trout to eat, so that's usually what I fish for. If I were going out there to target cats, I would go very early or late, and I would fish with cut pieces of perch or carp. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ive been out there a few times on some dark and spooky nights (theres no place to plug in my night light) and fished for cats....but everything ive caught was in the 1 lb range. i mostly hit the inlet area, and have never really seriously tried too hard to find biggers one....im sure they are in there if you hunt for the right terrain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts