Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to L.H. this mornig I was on the water by eight ---and off the water twenty minutes later, some storm came in from the north,first sight of snow,it was scary.Did some shorefishing next to boadramb facing the south side of L.H.with in one houer I had my limit using a Thomas Buoyant ,nickel,1/4oz.not do far out ,did a slow retrieve and stop,seems like the were picking it up as soon as the lure droped.It was a good mornig.
Oh yes ,Ken& W.E.thank's for the info. and tip about the Walleyes,gonna try it tomorrow,time to get some Wallys on the dinner table.
my regards ,
G.R.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hey Elvis. Where in the heck are you going to catch those walleye? I Know the sighn at the lake says it holds "walleye pike" but I've tried for walleye a whole bunch at "The Hag" and never seen a trace of the species in there.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fishmanlee said:
Hey Elvis.  Where in the heck are you going to catch those walleye?  I Know the sighn at the lake says it holds "walleye pike" but I've tried for walleye a whole bunch at "The Hag" and never seen a trace of the species in there.
Never saw a walleye coming out of Long Hagler,well I should say I never caught one out of there;but I have seen people with some walleyes.I'm going to Horsetooth this mornig and try my luck on the water within the next thierty minutes I'm there (five minutes drive for me).Try Ken's & W.E.advise on the wallys,close to the shore & near the bottom.Hope it's not as cold as it was yesterday mornig.Take some good and warm coffe with me.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
3109elvis said:
fishmanlee said:
Hey Elvis. Where in the heck are you going to catch those walleye? I Know the sighn at the lake says it holds "walleye pike" but I've tried for walleye a whole bunch at "The Hag" and never seen a trace of the species in there.
Never saw a walleye coming out of Long Hagler,well I should say I never caught one out of there;but I have seen people with some walleyes.I'm going to Horsetooth this mornig and try my luck on the water within the next thierty minutes I'm there (five minutes drive for me).Try Ken's & W.E.advise on the wallys,close to the shore & near the bottom.Hope it's not as cold as it was yesterday mornig.Take some good and warm coffe with me.
I watched an old fart (oops! a senior citizen) hook a big walleye right by the west boat ramp a few days ago. He got it right up to shore and it got off. From what I saw it was probably in the 8 lb. range. I asked him what his bait was, and he told me he wanted to catch anything that was out there, so he had on a night crawler AND a ball of powerbait on the same hook. LOL!

I tried a night crawler on the bottom about 50 ft. out to see if there were any more of those, and caught a 7 lb. catfish instead. So I think you might have to stick to lures if you want to target walleye.

Nobody has been going out along the rock dam to try for walleyes, but it should be productive as Ken said earlier, and I quote:

There is not a better time to target walleyes from shore than right now. Get some suspending baits, like Husky Jerks or Smithwick Rogues and cast parallel to rocky shorelines in early morning and evening hours. Crank them down, pause, twitch, pause, and you will get into fall walleyes. They are looking to trap baitfish and other creatures in the rocks - the closer you stay to the rocks, the better. Good luck!
W. E.

Edited:
Added Ken's quote

1 - 4 of 4 Posts