Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started fishing around noon. Cauhgt a couple of nice rainbows by the dam. The action realy picked up around dusk. Fish were surfacing all around the sunken trees. I ended up catching 14 in all. They ranged from 12 to 17 inches. Sorry no pics this trip.
Caught them ff/with a stillwater nymph.

P.S. If anyone is thinking about fishing Pinewood, ... don't. The lake seemed almost dead. We started the day out there, and I after trolling the lake for three hours, we decided to leave. We probably marked 15-20 fish total on the fish finders. Caught one rainbow fry that looked like it would make good musky food.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I was thinking about heading out there in a couple of weeks. Is the north-east entrance still closed and did you happen to see any muskie at the Old Hag or Pinewood?

·
Registered
24 Posts
We checked out Hagler Tuesday and thought it was too cold as the shore water temps were about 46, plus there were people lining the shores...more people than I've seen there before - providing I rarely fish weekends.  We were going for muskie.  Went to check out pinewood...found ice covering the middle half of the lake.  Decided to just go check out the cove and saw a few 24-30" muskie cruising.  We made some casts with no luck.  Returned to Pinewood Thursday with the ice gone, in that AWFUL wind and trolled around a lot.  No fish.

Has anyone had succes for muskies lately in Hagler?  We fished it a couple times last year and maybe had one follow, but it was murky and could've been a bass...swift follow and turn away.  Otherwise we've not seen any.  We've fished the west bushes, northwest bushes, the north east trees, the significant dropoff off the ramp area, a section near the south parking, the southeast corner, and around the dam.  We did snag and release a huge walleye off the dam while trolling, probably 30"...biggest walleye I've ever been close to.  Not sure what the weight would be.  Just wondering if there are still any numbers of muskie there.

·
Registered
636 Posts
First of all, welcome to the sight Whaler. Last year when fishing for muskie at Lon Hagler I seen one break the surface just west of the inlet. It looked to be pretty big. I also heard that three were caught in a two week period just under the 30" mark. I know since the water level there was pretty low during the drought time that the muskie fishing went downhill, but in 2004, the DOW put a pretty good number of muskie in there so they should all be at least 20+ inches by now especially with all those perch to eat. So they are there, I just don't know how many big ones. Hopefully in a few years it will be a top fishery for them again.

·
Registered
578 Posts
gotmuskie? said:
but in 2004, the DOW put a pretty good number of muskie in there so they should all be at least 20+ inches by now especially with all those perch to eat.
Dang-it! I was hoping they would leave the perch alone and go eat them stocker trout!!!! ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sure hope the tigers come back, but it seems like the tiger program state-wide is declining. Hope I'm wrong. I have casted one spot within 50 yards west of the inlet that seems to be nice structure, some sort of dropoff or point I can't quite remember. Will have to keep looking there. Thanks for the feedback. Knowing me, even if there are no further reports of tigers being seen there I'll still be there looking for them.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Whaler said:
I have casted one spot within 50 yards west of the inlet that seems to be nice structure, some sort of dropoff or point I can't quite remember.
That's as good a spot to cast from as you're going to find. Most (but not all) of the tigers are caught in the northwest quadrant of the lake, but if you stand further west than that there are too many snags. There are still some big tigers in there, I have seen them roll up to the surface, and once I saw a huge wake go clear across the lake from some big fish just under the surface, and it stopped right in that spot you are talking about. I assume it was a tiger since we don't have alligators in Colorado. :)

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts