Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time out this year.
Hard to retrain the fish. Two lures broke off in the first hour, lost two fish getting them to the canoe.
Might be bifocal knots or cold hands. They felt like little Pike.
My sonar battery was dead so I had to use my head. Kept changing spots and lures. Had several hits on Tube jigs, and spoons but no hook ups.
Probably would have been ok if I just left one lure on and worked it where I figured the fish were.
Then put a F9 Flat fish in fire tiger and let the wind blow me down the South shore, while I cast junk with the other rod. Netted a 18 inch Rainbow. had one more hit and that was it for the day.
I was almost skunked.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Saw you in that canoe early this morning right as the fog burned off. That is one well used canoe! :) You seemed to know what you were doing. Your sonar may be dead but you know the lake. When I saw you this morning, you were fishing exactly along the drop off from shallow to deep water on the north side. I'm the guy who was trolling nearby, grabbing the rod and reeling in like crazy every time my gear ran into the shelf. ::)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
albow? hope that wasn't you with the planer boards and fenders!
I picked up that canoe used, six years ago for my 50th birthday. Its been around the block. It still needs a 20 inch Trout.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I tried using one planer board to get shallow, pulling a big jointed rapala but didn't catch any fish that way. Fenders -- you mean pop gear? Tried that for a little while too, but didn't catch anything on that setup. I did catch two 16 inchers on a pink taz. Yeah, that was me that got too close to you first thing this morning. Sorry about that. :-[ We both had the same area in mind so I moved on and let you have it, figured I'd find something similar farther on down. Next time I'll say hi! :)

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Nothing better on that lake than ice fishing it, I have a much better appreciation for why folks don't catch many fish on lures there, they love the slow presentation most of the time, but they will come in to take a look at an attractor pattern. Tube jigs is what I would have stuck with.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Awesome that you two ran into each other like that. Pretty cool!

Do you have stabilizers or anything for your canoe? Love mine, but without the stabilizers, I am just not too comfortable on it.

Rob

W

·
0 Posts
ManTeets said:
Awesome that you two ran into each other like that. Pretty cool!

Do you have stabilizers or anything for your canoe? Love mine, but without the stabilizers, I am just not too comfortable on it.

Rob
My canoe seems wobbly, but it seriously resistant to tipping. You can tip it so far over that you'll take water over the gunnell and still not be anywhere near capsizing.

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
Koldkut said:
Nothing better on that lake than ice fishing it, I have a much better appreciation for why folks don't catch many fish on lures there, they love the slow presentation most of the time, but they will come in to take a look at an attractor pattern. Tube jigs is what I would have stuck with.
I killed them on the Mile last year trolling...

...Your welcome to ride up with me if you don't mind trolling...

Thanks for the report earplug...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts