Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh yeah, I went fishing this morning.. Almost forgot.

Put in "Sharkbait" @ 05:00.. Quite a few other boats on lake and a few canoers, might I add. I didn't mind, tho. Tried various methods and fished blindly (forgot depthfinder at home). Trolled kastmasters and Rat-L-Traps, but no cigar on those. Drifted mussels 1 ft off bottom on S side of lake and caught 1 undersized wipey.. It went back to its home. My lady's bro caught a 15" eye, nice and fat on a white/chartreuse tailed curly tail grub. I later then caught a 16" eye on a mussel (weird) while going at "1" speed on the Minn Kota Endura on E side of lake. We got a few hits from some dinky little fish in that cove on the S side of the lake that we couldn't hook. Saw some surface gulping out in the middle of the lake, but couldn't make out what they were.... Definitely not carp tho. Silvery fish (wiper? trout? shad?) I tossed some topwater, but no go. You would see the splashes occur as the giant dragonflies passed over the surface real low. Didn't seem like the surfacing fish were big tho. However, I aint sure because the most I saw was just the snout of the fish when they were gulping at dragonflies. Tadpoles were rising out in the middle of the lake too (also weird).

Spoke to a guy at the ramp in an inflatable yellow boat who told us "YOU SHOULDA BEEN HERE LAST WEEK!" According to him, his buddy caught the biggest wiper they've ever seen last week from Lonetree. He said last week, the walleye action was hot also. Oh well, at least we beat the skunk. 2 eyes and a small wipey, all released. Saw a bunch of little carp jumping too.. Took "Sharkbait" out at about 08:45. It was an outing, it was fun.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Man.. We were just out there last night.. A lot of shore fisherman.. We caught a few small wipers and that was it. Nothing too wonderful. Maybe we just missed it. Thats probly why everyone was out fishing to though to catch them wipers. We were wondering why soo many people.! Thanks for the report man.

steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
Where do you buy mussels at? I can't seem to locate any? Would oysters in a can work?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Gas motors are fine. Lontree is located on I-25 North 2-3 miles west of Campion. not sure what the exit is though. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Fisher32 said:
Gas motors are fine. Lontree is located on I-25 North 2-3 miles west of Campion. not sure what the exit is though. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
you're right. Exit on the campion exit and head west for a good ten minutes or so. The entrance is on the south side on the road and easy to miss. You'll see a sign though.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Im not sure of this but i think its like 8 MILES west on I25 Champion exit or so.. If your gonna fish from shore.. but on boat .. well ive never been to the boat side..

steve

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yeah, it's more like 8 miles. I told ya guys the eyes were hitting last week. Haven't tried it since. Will hit Cherry Creek tonight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fished Lonetree several times last week. Landed a couple of 14" - 16" walleye on bottom bouncer crawler harness, trolling speed around 1.6 to 1.8 mph, south side of lake, just outside the weedline.
Good Fishing!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I was there yesterday with my canoe, but unfortunately in the middle of the afternoon, and had to leave before the fish started biting, which others were telling me happens closer to dusk. When I got there, no one else was there but a couple of bank fisherman. I had the lake to myself, for all the good it did me. I caught nothing. Had one hit trolling a shadrap on the West side of the lake, but didn't have it on for long. I suspect from the tepid fight it was a small walleye.

When I left, others were just starting to show up for the evening bite. One guy told me twirl-tail jibs tipped with crawlers cast near the weeds and mouths of the coves works for the walleyes in the evening. Also live minnows or dead in a harness. BUT - I had to leave.

Same guy also said he consistently catches 5-8 lb. catfish at Boedecker, where most of the other species were killed during low water in 2003, and restocks are still too small to bother with. I was thinking about checking that out sometime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts