Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my boat out for the first time in a couple of years and finally managed to catch a some fish at Lonetree. Trolled aroun most of the lake early on with various crankbaits and never had a bite finally moved my boat up into the inlet (to get into it you need a boat that is about 4' wide or less its a real tight squeeze) and found that fish were stacked up in there like mad. Still was hard catching though water was just a little to cold I think. Caught 4 smallish bluegill and 1 crappie arounf 14"back in there I cant wait to try that spot again ina coupel of weeks it is killer lots of logs and snags and about 12 feet deep with near vertical sides dropping into it shoudl be awesome when the water warms. The crappie bit ona white curly tail jig and the bluegill were taking small ice jigs tipped with worms sittign below a bobber about 5' down

On the way back to the boat ramp my battery nearly died so barely made it back but I met a couple nice guys that allowed me to go out in there boat for a few more hours an dI managed to catch a tiny yellow perch and missed a couple more fish all on worms bellow bobbers again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good to hear there are some fish in there. I tried a few times last year without much sucess, but looks like I just need to put in some more work. Nice report
~Rob

·
Registered
769 Posts
Have fished Lonetree for many years and was not aware that it has an inlet other than the gated canal inlet on the North side. The only canal I am aware of is the outlet canal at the Northeast corner of the lake. Good to hear that there are some fish biting up there.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Is the inlet running hard or soft?

We used to use big shiners on a bobber in that place. It has big wipres ::)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Has huge wipers and walleyes. At least it used to but they can be soooooo hard to get to bite. The inlet is the little one running in from the west side right? I thought it was way too small to get a boat into. I scared a huge catfish in there before when I was walking by. Or are you talking about on the south east side? I don't think that is the inlet just a little extension that sometimes turns into a pond.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talking about the NW side and yep to get a boat in there it has to be a real small one. AS far as I could tell it wasnt running at all no current to speak of at least and even better yet you cant actually see the spot I am talking about for almost all the way around it there are tons of trees and a sandbar that runs down each side of it to the main lake.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yup that's what I thought. I walked through there one time right as it was getting dark and my flashlight died. I got beat up pretty bad from the trees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts