Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanx to some kind help & advice from work2fish, I managed to get to Lonetree Reservoir and scout it out this morning without getting lost again. :( As you can see from all the exposed shoreline in the photo, the level is down quite a bit, probably not unusual for this time of year. What is unusual is that the water is still very clear and not too green with algae. The slope out from the shoreline is very gradual in most places, I don't think there would be too many spots where you could cast to deep water from the shore. I'd say a boat would be best, but I might come back and try it before sunup to see if there are any good ones cruising the shallows.

There were several boats on the lake (wakeless only) and I watched for a while but didn't see any fish caught.

Regards, W. E.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i like those wakeless boating lakes might have to try that one out some day any camping near by and besides trout are there many warm water species in there?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i found lonetree on the topo map and see it at around 5140' so being below 7000 is live fish for bait leagle there or are there other tighter regs and can you fish the res next door welch res i think is the name?

roughly when does it ice over good?

who controlls it state parks, DOW?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Roadkill: I don't think Lonetree has trout in it as far as I know but it has walleye, wiper, catfish, bass, perch, and other panfish. It is a hard place to catch fish but if you do, they are usually very big. Welch reservoir is private and yes it (Lonetree) usually ices over pretty good. When I go goose hunting there I walk across the ice to get to the other side and have seen people fishing through the ice there many times. Yeah you can use minnows and there are a crap load of shad in there, at least there was but they had a huge winter kill on shad but they restocked it with some from Cherry Creek. Other areas nearby are Lon Hagler and Boedecker. Boedecker only has catfish right now due to the low water level last but has been restocked with fingerlings.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
what a colorado lake with out trout thats a tragedy im gonna call my senator!

them gizzard shad dont like cold water and die off pretty bad uder the ice but usualy enough survive to breed the next season

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the sign at the lake about species. Notice that they do not mention trout at all. And this is a DOW managed lake, believe it or not.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
cool might have to get the boat up there before the ice to scope out some good spots to ice fish are there under water topo maps for lonetree?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
roadkill said:
are there under water topo maps for lonetree?
Never seen one, but it might be possible to find a topo map somewhere that dates back to before the reservoir was filled. I don't know its history, though.

Just from looking at the lake and the shoreline I am betting that it has no bottom structure at all, unless underwater weed beds provide some.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
usualy there is some leftover gully might not be big or deep but if thats all there is it can be signifgant

i been looking for pre fill topo data for brush hollow with no luck yet if anyone knows a source for old topos i could realy use it

thanks

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
There is some structure with a couple of pointed ridges I have found...but for the most part it is a big bowl...like most of Colorado's reservoirs...

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've found the key to lone tree is to fish the weed lines. There is a pretty signifigant flat and drop off on the North Western side of the lake. There is also a weedline ( depending on the water level) on the south side of the lake. Both of these areas typically hold fish( Walleye and Bass).

When the water is high in the early spring, don't discount the brush for some nice walleye. I've caught some over 21" while bass fishing with a white pearl Senko.

Wiper.... In the past I have been in some huge boils and been unable to get even a strike no matter what I tried. I have heard that the natural forage was so great that the wiper were pretty selective.. I don't know how the shad die off will affect that this year and I have not been on the lake at all so far since I don't live as close as I used to.

Brett

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Wow, the water looks alot lower than the last time I was there, ( about a month ago). There are no trout, and Brett is exactly right! Work the weed lines for walleyes. That's been my most reliable lake the past two years for bringing home afew walleyes for the fryer ;). Never ice fished it though.

John

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oats said:
Any idea why there isn't a boat ramp, where's all that licence money going anyway.
Notice the boat ramp in the photo, in the first message in this topic. There is a second one not far away from it. I don't think either one was built with license money, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JohnnyO19 said:
With the water low, are the ramps still usable? Maybe that's what he meant.
Right now they are still quite usable. I watched several boats launched there with no problem at all. Some of them good sized ones.

The only person I saw with a problem was one guy who launched his canoe, floated out about 20 ft., and then stood up in it. It promptly rolled over and dumped him out head first and ruined his pager. :D But that was not a launching problem, I call that a mental problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts