Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish she stayed this calm! ...took her quite a whle to slow down...but after she got a little tired she was always right under my gun :-[

Basically it was a frustrating morning...I hit [4] properties, and was cut-off at 3 of the 4!!!!! Twice, the groups jumped several birds from right where we were heading >:D ...WTF? One group of 8 kids, quickly cut-across maybe 100 yds in front of me. ...then proceeded to jump a cool dozen birds while downing 5 longtails!...I just wanted to cry :'( ...the other group of 5 guys downed 2 roosters in my face as well.

Still...Kiwi managed to kick one up and I laid him to rest with the only pull of the trigger I had all day! ;D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nice to see you post up HeavyC..how has the duck hunting been for you this year?

D.J.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Big time issue with the Publics for sure. We saw a lot of cars and trucks flying around as well. Luckily we found a couple small spots not hit yet. We also found a nice land owner that allowed us access to a stretch of good cover. Here is what I posted on another thread!
Well, as I thought it was a short opener. The dog is ruined for a day or two, and the boy was ready to call it quits after 3 good walks. I would love to tell everyone that I got my limit this morning, but that didn't happen. Not because of the birds, but because I can't shoot to save my arse! We hit a couple corners filled with good CRP grass. They surrounded a good corn field. At the point where the 2 corners joined (the narrow spot) the dog worked up two cocks! The 1st went towards the boy so I turned to the 2nd. Missed the 1st shot and forgot to pump in another round. By the time I chambered the 2nd it was a long shot. I took it anyway, and missed. I've been shooting my over/under 20g the last few years. Thus, haven't shot the 870 and almost forgot how to. We worked a nice ditch in the middle of a winter wheat field! It ended near the farm house. The end is where the next 5 ring necks popped out. Three blasted off in the direction of the house, 2 went away. I shot all 3 shots with the same outcome. NOTHING!! We took a drive to give the dog a rest! We found an abandoned farm house with very heavy weed cover. We walked it for fun. Out comes roughly 10 more birds. Good mix of cocks and hens. Of course I miss all 3 shots. Again NOTHING! My boy was happy and excited to see so many birds, and my dog was elated to be back in the field! All in all close to 35 birds sighted! Close to 15 in range while walking! I think my wife swapped out my 5 shot with blanks. She doesn't like eating pheasant much! I'm sure that's what the problem was! ;D ;D ;D.
Glad to hear of your success!

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts