Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After last years carnage along with losing 2 big fish on the last day I knew I had to do it again, this time I fell into the last opening on a 15 day trip on the Independence.
After a great New Years party in Granby ice fishing with my Daughter and friends I packed up my gear and drove to san Diego. Its over a thousand miles to Hurricane bank where we were heading at 10 knots, thats a solid 4 days of traveling. On the second day out Sergio and I were trolling Marauders to pass the time and got a double on a 160lb and 180lb Yellowfin in the middle of nowhere.

My lucky Marauder

Captain Jef said in 25 years he'd never seen that happen.

Sofia from Seeker rods, EJ and Jeff (there were 5 Jeff's on the boat)

Sergio got a Wahoo on the way down also, we finally made it Anchored up and started flylining live sardines.
Abel started things off,

Jeff Senior

Nepon with his 230lber off the kite

Jerome and John.
Fishing was normally on the slow side mornings and daytime with an hour or so flurry just before dark.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Wow trolling at 11 mph...how long and what does a marauder weigh Steve?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The Marador I was using was on the small side at about 8" long with 2 big single hooks and weighs 3 pds or so, we usually just get Wahoo on them.
I got bored and did some bottom fishing but all that was around were small 18ish" Sculpins

Paul from LA
With a Wahoo

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Rick from Hawaii got right with the program

Jeff Jr with his 240lber off the kite

EJ with one of many he had the hot rod

Nepon with another

Greg with one of his

Jerome with his Cow

Mike

Scott

Sharks are hungry

My personal best I ended up with 8 tuna this was the first of 2 cows I managed with exact same measurements 72" X 48" Got this one on my 100lb outfit reeling in a sardine on a 3/0 owner circle hook, he took me 3 times clear around the boat and took an hour and a half or so to get in. Yah Im still a little sore.

The crew having some fun, these guys are the real deal

The next day on a slow picky bite I decided to try my Shimano 14000 Wahoo rod with 50lb line. If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough lol. My reel was smoking, I literally got my ass kicked for what seemed like at least a couple hours.

After multiple tangles I finally managed to land it.

Food wasn't bad

That Jerome guy again

Another nice evening bite

My second 205lb Cow caught on the kite rod with a 10lb live skipjack.

·
Registered
740 Posts
How AWESOME! I loved last years story and this years is great too. Though it looks like you're kind of roughing it based on the food and boat pics :p

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Airborn Blue Marlin Sofia hooked

Roughing it on the way back

We made a stop to hide out behind Cedros island to wait out a storm with 20-30' swells and got back in a day late.

All in all a fantastic trip with a great group of guys and awesome crew.
Weren't many Wahoo around this year but the 100-200+lb grade Tuna were the main event.

I took 3rd place in the Jackpot!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Steve since it is stand and fight at the rail...if you hooked a grander blue or black would you have a shot? I ask that since Sophia hooked the blue did she land land it?

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
Awesome Steve, you are the King!!! THX for sharing!!!

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
**** that looks a helluva lot more fun than ice fishing! Whats something like that cost? What do you do with all those tuna?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Steve since it is stand and fight at the rail...if you hooked a grander blue or black would you have a shot? I ask that since Sophia hooked the blue did she land land it?
She landed it and they released at the boat it was just a 120lb or so small one.
On 2 trips thats the only Marlin I've seen out there, saw some pictures of Marlin on long range boats at Mitch's at Pt Loma.
I think it would be tough to land a grander on our tackle, we were using 15, 20 and 30wide reels with 80- 100-130 lb line. Fishing for them in Hawaii they use minimum 80 wide reels with over a mile of line.
It seemed like the crew and guys could care less about Marlin and didn't want to get in to them. They have back up rods with a thousand yards of line, if you hook a super Cow and he starts to run you out of line they hook it up to your reel and you throw your 1000.00 outfit in the water. Might work for a big Marlin, not sure if they would chance it, might be dicey I had a big Black Marlin in Panama scream over 100 yards on top of the water in seconds.
Last years trip they had to use 2 back up rods on a 280lb Tuna.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
**** that looks a helluva lot more fun than ice fishing! Whats something like that cost? What do you do with all those tuna?
The 15 day trips are specialty trips for Big Yellowfin Tuna, the cost was 5,200.00, + a 10-20% tip for the crew.
I ended up with only 8 fish not counting a dozen or so Sculpin that came up to just under 1000lbs after gilled and gutted. Some of the guys caught many more than I did although I was the only one lucky enough to get 2 Cows (over 200 lbs)

Fishing was actually off from normal with the crazy weather fronts coming through
This was a picture in the boat from a previous successful trip.Processing was a little under a dollar a pound and I ended up with some where around 500+lbs of grade a fillets. I give most of it away to friends, family, workers and trade some for Elk and Moose.
Next year I'm gonna try to do a 7-8 day multi species trip for smaller grade Tuna, Yellowtail and Wahoo that costs around 2,600.00.
Still a long drive home pulling out of Cedar City Utah shortly.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Wow, too cool! You are livin the dream!!
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Show off!!!

AND YES I am jealous!!!

Curious...

I see the Death Deck of Blood but...

Where's the picture of the Swiss Army knife that brought the brutal death to those fish that were Slayed? :confused::confused:

:biggrin1:

Great pictures and thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts