Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

long & skinney or short & fat

813 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  fishaholic 
#1 ·
going to try walleye fishing. I see pics of them with long jerkbaits hanging from their lips, my question is will they bite on the short & fat ones too?

#2 ·
You mean like the fat crankbaits? Yeah I've seen some caught on fat crankbaits, but most cranks designed for eyes are more of the long minnowbait type lures, or the long jerkbaits. Also for the most part jerkbaits can be suspended and most of the fat cranks will not suspend but will float right up on pause.

#3 ·
Walleye are originally a river fish. They evolved in rivers and they carry the behavioral traits of river fish. This means they are keyed into fish with a narrow profile. Fish with a narrow profile swim in current easier, so they were the available forage in rivers. Walleye therefore instinctively attack thin lures with a tighter wobble.

However, walleye in certain waters are stocked to eat and control deeper bodied forage like larger shad, sunfish, and crappie. In these situations, a fatter crankbait like a shad rap or something similar will probably catch more fish.

In the majority of situations, especially this time of year, the preferred bait are narrow lures like X-raps, Husky Jerks, Rogues, twistertails, and others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.