Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I threw more than one lure yesterday, but all fish were caught on only one lure. Conditions were less variable: the water was dead calm throughout the night and there was little cloud cover. And I didn't lose any lures, so didn't need to retie new ones. :D

The fist fish was a crappie. The lure did all the work. Literally. After casting it out, I took a quick bathroom break. By the time I grabbed the rod, the fish was on. The magic lure:

The following 3 hours were a grind. We regrouped and talked about how a slow night or a series of skunks can shatter your confidence... Then one night you get on a good bite and you feel like a champ... And sometimes it all happens on the same night.

A glimmer of hope after fruitless hours of casting:

Getting better:

A 10 pounder:

My friend didn't catch anything but that's just the luck of the draw sometimes. I caught the last fish of the night within a 30-40 yard stretch. Getting lucky can pay off...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Damn, nice fish there, maybe I should try the night shift.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
My question though is after 3 hours of hucking the same lure... why didn't you switch it up? Or were you moving around? Confident that the lure wasn't the issue?

I feel like I change lures way too much!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My question though is after 3 hours of hucking the same lure... why didn't you switch it up? Or were you moving around? Confident that the lure wasn't the issue?

I feel like I change lures way too much!
I did. I threw 5 different lures: a Duo Realis 120SP, a floating swimbait, a grub, a floating jerkbait, and a lipless crankbait. I covered the top and the bottom of the water column. I fished slow and fast. Only the Duo caught fish. Of course, I also threw it more than the other lures... This was a classic example of: you just have to find willing fish. It's OK to switch lure, but often times you have to try something dramatic to get the results done. Changing how you retrieve the lure can also be more productive than simply switching lure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Luck of the draw my ass!! I think you wanted to whoop my butt last night to remind me that you are still the master and I am just your lousy protege. :p

Some fine action there at the end of the night, hopefully I hit it right tonight. You sure had quite the week!!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I've been even killing myself the past year trying to get an a MA class eye but you guys do it here and there like it's no big deal...nice

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been even killing myself the past year trying to get an a MA class eye but you guys do it here and there like it's no big deal...nice
You'll get into one sooner or later. They often come in tight groupings. I caught 3 MA eyes and a 19" bass this week. No MAs in the weeks before that.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Very nice. I briefly considered going fishing last night. Then I poured another drink and made fun of myself for even considering such a trivial pursuit. :D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice. I briefly considered going fishing last night. Then I poured another drink and made fun of myself for even considering such a trivial pursuit. :D
Good call! :D

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Well done! Nice feesh! I need lessons.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts