Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from n.y been here for awhile and caught the fishing bug and buying tackle bug ( :mad:Damn that basspro shop :mad:)... The question at hand, where is a good pace to do some bass fishing  in longmont
thaat you can drop a line at in the summer that not a hour away after a long day of working.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Jinx! The Loveland/Longmont/Ft.Collins area is my favorite place to fish...too bad I live in Denver. I am boatless, but I have had bank success at Simpson Ponds, Lon Hagler, and Union Reservoir. There are many other places in the area...far too many to name.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've caught a lot of bass (some of them keepers) out of Thompson Ponds just east of Loveland. There are bluegill, crappie, catfish, carp, crawdads, and bullfrogs there as well. It's a good place to take kids too. You can do really well from shore.
I live in Milliken so it's really close for me, but Longmont isn't too far away. Thompson Ponds are on the west side of I-25 just south of HWY 34. Coming from the south, you take the Campion exit, then go north on the frontage road on the east side of I-25. There is an underpass that goes to the west side of I-25 and Thompson Ponds. 

·
Registered
17 Posts
Directions for Simpson Ponds...
I don't know a single street name, so I'll use landmarks:
I take I-25 North (from Denver) and take the outlets exit west. Make a left at the big LDS church, it's set back from the road. Follow that road, it will force you to make a right turn, go around the roundabout, as if you were making a left turn. You'll be at a 3-way intersection - proceed straight. The ponds are about 1/4 mile south of the last stop sign...private pond on the right (you'll see the houses with their own pond), and your next right is a gravel road, and you're there!

From the parking lot, I prefer the pond directly west...or hike around to the back of the ponds.

(these were horrible directions, but that's how I get there)

Oh! And big bullfrogs too! I accidentally caught one on a mouse lure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If your looking to Bass fish in longmont email. me I'll take ya around and show you some great places to go! By the way where in ny are you from.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
razorsedge31 thanks for the offer I will have to take you up on that. I hail from the bronx almost near yankee stadium, One question what do you think of Mcintosh lake
any good fishing there?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Simpson Ponds:
I-25 north to Highway 402 (just north of Johnson's Corner), go west appr. 1.5 -2 miles. turn north on the first County Road you come to, pass over the Big Thompson River (not marked) and the ponds are on your left (west side ) side of the road. There are 2 parking areas, one on each side of the concrete plant.
The ponds all have fish, some are QUITE a challenge due to weed growth, but all have decent fish. Just this fall I caught a 4 1/2 lb. largemouth in the most southeast pond ( a little suspending jerk-bait ).

Big Thompson Ponds:
Lots of Crappie ( TINY...TINY...TINY ), but a kick to catch. You also can catch other panfish in the ponds there, but CATS are the target fish here. Cutbait is the way to go, just catch a fish, put a circle hook in him, and right back in he goes!

Good Luck and PM me if ya to know anything else or tag along some day ..... TONY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts