Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from n.y been here for awhile and caught the fishing bug and buying tackle bug ( :mad:Damn that basspro shop :mad:)... The question at hand, where is a good pace to do some bass fishing  in longmont
thaat you can drop a line at in the summer that not a hour away after a long day of working.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Jinx! The Loveland/Longmont/Ft.Collins area is my favorite place to fish...too bad I live in Denver. I am boatless, but I have had bank success at Simpson Ponds, Lon Hagler, and Union Reservoir. There are many other places in the area...far too many to name.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've caught a lot of bass (some of them keepers) out of Thompson Ponds just east of Loveland. There are bluegill, crappie, catfish, carp, crawdads, and bullfrogs there as well. It's a good place to take kids too. You can do really well from shore.
I live in Milliken so it's really close for me, but Longmont isn't too far away. Thompson Ponds are on the west side of I-25 just south of HWY 34. Coming from the south, you take the Campion exit, then go north on the frontage road on the east side of I-25. There is an underpass that goes to the west side of I-25 and Thompson Ponds. 

·
Registered
17 Posts
Directions for Simpson Ponds...
I don't know a single street name, so I'll use landmarks:
I take I-25 North (from Denver) and take the outlets exit west. Make a left at the big LDS church, it's set back from the road. Follow that road, it will force you to make a right turn, go around the roundabout, as if you were making a left turn. You'll be at a 3-way intersection - proceed straight. The ponds are about 1/4 mile south of the last stop sign...private pond on the right (you'll see the houses with their own pond), and your next right is a gravel road, and you're there!

From the parking lot, I prefer the pond directly west...or hike around to the back of the ponds.

(these were horrible directions, but that's how I get there)

Oh! And big bullfrogs too! I accidentally caught one on a mouse lure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
razorsedge31 thanks for the offer I will have to take you up on that. I hail from the bronx almost near yankee stadium, One question what do you think of Mcintosh lake
any good fishing there?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Simpson Ponds:
I-25 north to Highway 402 (just north of Johnson's Corner), go west appr. 1.5 -2 miles. turn north on the first County Road you come to, pass over the Big Thompson River (not marked) and the ponds are on your left (west side ) side of the road. There are 2 parking areas, one on each side of the concrete plant.
The ponds all have fish, some are QUITE a challenge due to weed growth, but all have decent fish. Just this fall I caught a 4 1/2 lb. largemouth in the most southeast pond ( a little suspending jerk-bait ).

Big Thompson Ponds:
Lots of Crappie ( TINY...TINY...TINY ), but a kick to catch. You also can catch other panfish in the ponds there, but CATS are the target fish here. Cutbait is the way to go, just catch a fish, put a circle hook in him, and right back in he goes!

Good Luck and PM me if ya to know anything else or tag along some day ..... TONY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.