Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been useing the same fly vest since I was 13. Don't get me wrong I love the old thing it's just getting small and the velcro is worn out so stuff falls out of the pockets. I was wondering what you guys use. Are the $150 burnt orange simms vests all they are cracked up to be? What about chest packs. I've been looking at the big old $100 pack in the L L Bean catalog. Just looking for a little input and a reason to spend money at a fly shop.

·
Registered
699 Posts
sportsmans wharehouse has a few very nice vests for a very decent price

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The ones made by Patagonia and Simms are nice....but pricey...

I still wear a Columbia PFG vest ive had for over 10 years...ive had many chances to upgrade, but mine still works so i stick with it. now if only i could maintain that same frame of mind when it comes to fly rods....

Be sure to take in mind if you wade or bellyboat a lot...a shorter vest will serve you better and keep your flies dry. some of the "standard" size vests are too long and will end up getting soaked. mines a "shorty" version, its rides pretty high and stays dry...well, most of the time. and pockets...you can never have enough. a large back pocket is a must for me---for rain jackets, lunch, water bottles, ect ect.

·
Registered
179 Posts
got the LL bean one you are talking about. i love it. lots of room and the seperate belt at ther bottom takes the weight off the shoulders. the ability to carry a hydratin bladder is nice too. i never seemed to drink when fishing until i got this pack. it a quality pack aqnd the price is about $60 less than ones that are similar. fishpond offers a similar one, the wasatch tech vest but it is 159.99 not 99.99 like the ll bean and it lacks a few features of the ll bean.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm all about simms. I have the vertical master and I cant say enough about it's functionality. DOn't get the G3 though. Those pockets have this built in padding, and they stick out over the sides and rub against your forearm when you're stripping line. Put one on for two seconds and you'll know what Im talking about. so yea, VERTICAL MASTER

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check out cloudveil stuff it is awesome. I like the vests alot we carry them in the shop up here. I would also look into william joesph packs if that is the direction that you want to go. I have a wj pack I guide in and fish in and I love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts