Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this topic has been addressed before...

Does anyone have advice on a 3wt dry/dropper small stream setup? I would say something in the 250 dollar range if at all possible, but I am more concerned with good value for the money.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
troutah said:
I've got the 8'9" finesse 3 wt and I like it. I little on the heavy side, definitely on the slower action side (they call it traditional). It's been a good rod for me over the last three years. Good warranty.
I like that "traditional" action for laying down dries. I've got the 7'9'". Not heavy. :D

Broke it once and had a new rod in my hands(shipped from Texas) in less that 72 hrs. ;D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would try an Elkhorn 3 wt. Great rod, great value and is based locally.(Loveland). Moderate action, very smooth load & cast. 8 ft 3wt Nomad is about $160 .

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll second PH's comments.

I have the 6'6" Echo rod and it's excellent, especially on small streams or for bluegills.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I fish the St. Croix avid in a 2 wt and love it. Its on the slower side of the action spectrum, however I test casted it along with the TFO Finesse 2 wt at Discount Fishing Tackle a few years ago and liked the St. Croix a lot better. About $40 to $60 more than the Finesse though. You should test cast a few if you can before making a decision.

Spend more on the rod an line, save on the reel. For a creek reel you don't need much:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48799?feat=1111-GN2

·
Registered
198 Posts
my turn! iv'e been using the redington rs4 8' for the past three years. it's a fast action that casts well and handles large large fish like a 5wt. if you can find one you'll be very pleased. gander has a few left. i got when the aurora sportman's warehouse closed shop at a bargain price. also the cabelas three forks line of rods is very suprising for the price ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would definately go with the elkhorn 3wt. I have it and I use it more than any other rod I own. Small streams, bigger rivers, it'll do anything you need it to. Ive caught big fish, 20+ inchers, with it too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you're still looking for a 3 weight and you're leaning towards Elkhorn, I have an 8' 3wt Elkhorn Traveler that I'm trying to get rid of. It comes with 2 tips since I had one repaired and was given a brand new one after the repair. It's a great rod but I need to liquidate some of my gear. Would be willing to negotiate on a price. I also have an Elkhorn T1 reel with Rio Gold on it that I would be willing to package with the rod for the right price. Let me know!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts