Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
close to Denver that will have decent fishing.  After getting a line snapped by a jet skier at Jackson on Saturday, I'm temporarily fed up with lakes in the Metro area.  Not too mention the zoos at the boat ramps.

My brother and I would like to head up early Saturday morning, but are having trouble finding a decent lake/reservoir within 1.5 hours drive of Denver.  We are hoping for decent fishing and would like to avoid crowds (if possible).   A boat ramp would also be nice.

This seems like an ad, but we are new to Colorado fishing and are still in the process of figuring out Colorado's lakes.  Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

Caveat:  We are not trying to impose on anyone's hot spots, just general locations/lakes.  Figuring out the terrain and hotspots where the fish are on a lake or reservoir is half the fun.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I personally like Jefferson. Its not big, but the country is bueatiful and i always have a good day there. If you put your boat in, go over to the inlet. Most people will not make the walk and you can catch some decent rainbows there and small lakers every once in a while.

C

·
0 Posts
I go to Georetown alot and I have a good day every time I go. Most anglers will tell you that it mostly contains small fish but I think I've found were the larger fish like to hang out. Try the south side of the lake along the sandy shoreline and use green or pink power bait for the best results. I have only caght rainbows there but I know theres browns and brookies as well. There is also no boat ramp sry.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You should check out 11-Mile Reservoir or Spinney Mtn. Reservoir or both. It might take you a little longer than 1.5 hours to get there, maybe more like 2 hrs, but the fishing can be great and not all the pleasure boaters. Good opportunities for multiple species (Trout, Pike, Kokanee).

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Just read your post again and noticed you are new to CO. If you have never been up to 11-Mile Res or Spinney Mtn. Res I would definitely reccomend it. It is a beautiful area and those two reservoirs are right at the top of the list for best fishing and size of fish. Cool little fact: If you were exactly in the middle of the state of Colorado you would be in a boat in the middle of Spinney Mountain Res.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, rip lip!

Amazingly enough, I've lived in Colorado for 5 years. I just picked up fishing (serious fishing) again this year.

I love 11 Mile, but due to plans in the afternoon I'm constrained to areas closer to Denver. Besides, it always seems to take me almost 2.5 hours to get to 11 Mile. That's just a little too far.

As many of you would do, I'm trying to sneak some good fishing in before my afternoon plans that I'm required to attend .

·
Registered
296 Posts
well if you read the reports in todays paper dillion is at full pull ye hah since i am like 8 miles from the inlet green mnt is right at full it should be a good fall fishing forcast

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
WraithR1 - Check out Horstooth in Ft. Collins. I heard it is fishing well right now. Smallies are bangin, good trout action, and some good Walleye action as well.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Granby, Williams Fork, Wolford, Shadow Mnt. & Grand Lake are all good choices. All have boat docks plus very little water sports due to the cold water.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! Due to this forum, my choices have gone from famine to feast! Excellent suggestions!

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts