Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 6'6", or preferably, a 7' light action rod. Looking for a pretty fast action, and under $100. Unfortunately where I live, I don't have a good place where I can check them out in person, so I'm hoping some of you will have some input. Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Check out the Fenwick Eagle in 7'6" or 8'. It's ultra light but at that length it can handle a lot. I have caught wiper on it up to 6lbs (I know it can handle larger, I just have not caught them yet) - tons of fun! I have been getting into some descent smallies on it lately as well and it is handling them very nicely.

To further the conversation I have the Pfluger 6920 Presidential reel and #8 nano line with different sizes of 100% flouro-carbon leader depending on the situation. If you can't tell I absolutely love this set up.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Walmart sells the Quantum Xtralite in 7'.
It will boat a 16" Smallie and toss a 1/32 jig on 4lb line.
My favorite tool to feed the dog with.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Carbon Lites are good values. I hate the new color scheme though. Yeah, I'm superficial. :biggrin1: MrWigglestheworm swears by a certain Gander Mountain series. I trust his judgement. Maybe worth a PM to him?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carbon Lites are good values. I hate the new color scheme though. Yeah, I'm superficial. :biggrin1: MrWigglestheworm swears by a certain Gander Mountain series. I trust his judgement. Maybe worth a PM to him?
I was looking at the carbon lites, but saw some people had issues with them breaking. I think Kenny likes the GSX series rods there...I've talked with him about them at least, I've got a 6'6" ml that I really love for throwing jerks. Really fast action.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Walmart sells the Quantum Xtralite in 7'.
It will boat a 16" Smallie and toss a 1/32 jig on 4lb line.
My favorite tool to feed the dog with.
The walmart here is kinda hokey. I actually looked there earlier today, and didn't see anything over 6'6". Don't get me wrong, I've been using walmart rods for years, but most of their stuff just felt cheap.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Gander has the gsx rods on sale for 99 dollars...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I'll just mention it again...Batman who fishes ST Croix Legends almost exclusively turned me on to the Berkley Lightning rod..I've been totally satisfied. Been fishing a 6'6" medium weight this season and have caught cats to eighteen pounds..a few wipers..crappie..trout..bass and walleyes. Fast tip..very sensitive...and only forty bucks. Haven't found a better bang for the buck.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I'll just mention it again...Batman who fishes ST Croix Legends almost exclusively turned me on to the Berkley Lightning rod..I've been totally satisfied. Been fishing a 6'6" medium weight this season and have caught cats to eighteen pounds..a few wipers..crappie..trout..bass and walleyes. Fast tip..very sensitive...and only forty bucks. Haven't found a better bang for the buck.
Didn't someone tell you they only wanted advice on rods from G loomis, St Croix and Shimano. :D Seriously, my brother used to have a Lightning. Not bad for the money. I don't know if they made upgrades to the guides but I wouldn't use braid on the old one. BTW, thereis an online retailer that sells discounted Berkley products. You could probably find Lightnings for less than $40 there. FFO-tackle.com. I just looked at their site. No Lightnings currently. They have an Abu Garcia Verdict 6'9" ML for $60 (normally a $100 rod). I've never handled the rod, so I couldn't tell you how it feels.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The walmart here is kinda hokey. I actually looked there earlier today, and didn't see anything over 6'6". Don't get me wrong, I've been using walmart rods for years, but most of their stuff just felt cheap.
Walmart in Rifle has them, if I was you I'd make a trip to cabelas in junk town and pick up a 7' Fenwick UL.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input everyone. Ended up ordering a 7'6" fenwick hmx light action. It's gonna be for fishing the high lakes, the brookies go deep in summer so I want to be able to reach them without having to haul in my tube. Will be paired with a 6925 president and 8# nanofil

·
Registered
315 Posts
My 6'6" ML St Croix Premier is my favorite trout rod. I pulled in some 25-30" pike with no issues on it. They go for $120 but can be found on sale for much less. I only paid $60 for mine

I did just bought a 7' MH Cabelas XML rod that is an amazing rod for $70. Normally they are $150 so if they are still on sale I highly recommend picking up one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts