Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to mention this because it sounds easy and cool. Some rainbow trout we caught at Cowdrey Lake outside of Walden last Sat were loaded with fairly large snails. 2 nights ago my son & I were eating hot wings in Ft Collins. We were discussing how we could ever tie a fly that looked like a snail. A fellow at the table next to use overheard our conversation and said "Use a coffee bean." He explained that if you glue a coffee bean to a hook it will work very well as a snail fly. I glued some up and must say it is a little trickier than it sounds. My tip for the day is: 1st attach the hook with a little hot glue. Then use 5 minute epoxy to really cement it in place. They look very cool. We will see how cool they are when I put them to work this weekend! The gentleman that told me about the coffee bean snails used to be a fly fishing guide in Utah. John

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You guys are great. It didn't even occur to me that the coffee bean would be considered bait. I was going to use these "flies" on the Delaneys. Not now! I appreciated the heads up. John

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't use Starbucks! I hear they put cocaine in their coffee. The fish will break off every time because it is so wired! LOL :p

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
fatfish said:
Don't use Starbucks! I hear they put cocaine in their coffee. The fish will break off every time because it is so wired! LOL :p
Makes you wonder is the coffee bean gives the fish a caffine rush and makes them fight better.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In excited anticipation I used my new coffee bean snail flies Sat at Cowdrey and caught - nothing!!! However, the fishing seemed to be off though we were fishing midday in the bright sunlight. Maybe later in the evening would have been better. We caught a few rainbows on black wooley buggers with floating line but the fishing wasn't as easy as the weekend before. We were at the boat ramp. John

·
Registered
22 Posts
The snail pattern I typically used was essentially a ball of thread reinforced peacock herl (herl placed in a dubbing loop) on a scud hook with clear thin skin over the top. Generally liked to weight this fly to keep it near the bottom.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
John...I am just curious...if you can glue coffee beans to hooks...why not walk the shoreline at Cowdrey and pick up a few of the snail shells that are usually washed up dead and empty in the shoreline gravel...pick the ones that were like the ones in the trout you caught and glue those to a hook...you could take it a step further and super glue a cut piece of a black rubber lure (twister tail body) into the shell to make the rubbery black "foot" of the snail...use a light wire hook...oh well kind of a bizzarre idea...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts