Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really trying to start a new one because I'm betting this question has been asked many times before...What's a good line for Macks under the ice?

I've always used just a 6# Trilene mono but I'm guessing there's some newer hi-tech stuff out there these days.

Any of you old-timers remember a thread? I've tried searching with no luck.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Mono or fluorocarbon both work fine. I like the P-Line Fluoroclear. If you want to target big fish, I suggest you don't go any lighter than 12 lb. test. I fish 12 lb. about half the time and 15 lb. the other half. They're not leader shy in the least. Lighter lines kill fish. Get 'em the ice and back down the hole as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Benson said:
My buddy that has been schooling me on Lakers likes to use a 14lb with a 10lb leader.
To each his own. When I fish open water I generally fish 20# braid with a 12# or 15# mono leader. I don't ice fish with braid because I fish outside most of the time. Braid soaks up water and freezes.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Don I put some P-Line Flouro on last year believe it was 6 lbs and busted the line three times and one was a big fish at John. Maybe it was a bad spool but prior to that I was using 4 lbs Gama or Yo-zuri and the hook would straighten before the line would snap.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Tom-
The only fish I've ever broken off on the P-Line was operator error, and I can only think of one in the last 5 or 6 years. It occurred when a big fish just kept running and running and running and I erroneously concluded I must have my drag set too light, and cranked it down just a tad. Oops. I won't make that mistake again. But I haven't tried it in the 4# and 6# sizes, either.

·
Registered
16,498 Posts
Trout said:
Don I put some P-Line Flouro on last year believe it was 6 lbs and busted the line three times and one was a big fish at John. Maybe it was a bad spool but prior to that I was using 4 lbs Gama or Yo-zuri and the hook would straighten before the line would snap.
I was there- It wasn't THAT big-- :D

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Use better hooks ??? Lighten your drag ??? Figures Trout would be heavy on the drag!...

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Damn it Slayer we both knew 10 lbs easy ;D Zman thank you for diagnosing the problem I guess 20 years prior I was lucky with crappy hooks and max drag. That long of a lucky run clouded the real reason :D blunt hooks and Tebow hook sets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts