Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to switch one of my jigging rigs over to braided line and have never used any before, what do you use and are there any good or bad points that you have experienced?

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i use power pro it is a round line and cast fine and you can use your mono knots. to add a fluro leader use back to back uni knots and put at least 15 yds of mono backing on your reel, best of all it is made in colo. for a jigging rod i would go with 30 lb min and heavier if you want 65 lb is only about 12 lb dia.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got some SpiderWire a few weeks back... It's white. Invisi-Braid I think it's called.. Not bad line. Although I do love PowerPro. Good solid line. I got the spiderwire because it was on sale. I would probably go with PowerPro next time. Fish dont seem to mind the moss green like they do the white.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Im a Power Pro guy, but I have freinds in the field who swear by Suffix Braid...and they have used both brands. Support the home team and go with PP

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I use Power Pro on my baitcasters.....................and thanks to a pm from an un-named member............I've gone to spider wire Stealth on my spinning rods. I am shocked by the performance I'm getting from it on a spin reel...................great stuff. I was afraid the P-Pro would be too "limp" for my spin reel and I'd getting wind knots easier.

·
Registered
120 Posts
While I was quite skeptical at first, I would go with Berkley's new tracer Braid 4/15. I fished it with Jerk baits the last couple weeks and have to say I am very impressed! I really like the visibility and stealth. gives you a very good point reference to where your bait is at all times...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I went to powerpro phantom red 15lb on all my spinning reels a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I would recommend it to anyone and like some else said already it is made right here in Colorado so that just makes it that much better.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I have Fireline Crystal on about half my rods now, and various kinds of mono on the rest. I'm very happy with the Fireline and it has never let me down. As others have mentioned, not all fishing knots will work with braid. The Palomar knot is one of the best for tying on terminal tackle, and the Uni to Uni knot is good for tying on leaders.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
I have Fireline Crystal on about half my rods now, and various kinds of mono on the rest. I'm very happy with the Fireline and it has never let me down. As others have mentioned, not all fishing knots will work with braid. The Palomar knot is one of the best for tying on terminal tackle, and the Uni to Uni knot is good for tying on leaders.
x2

·
Registered
145 Posts
i didnt know power pro is from colorado. i was trying to decide between the spiderwire invisibraid or the power pro, but now i think im going to try the ppro.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
denverbassman said:
power pro or tuff line!
same thing!
I didn't like tuff line. It doesn't have an inner matrix binding the fibers together like power pro and even moreso, fireline... I also thought it had weak spots.

·
Registered
293 Posts
AKA master said:
i didnt know power pro is from colorado. i was trying to decide between the spiderwire invisibraid or the power pro, but now i think im going to try the ppro.
In all honesty... Get the Ppro... I like my InvisiBraid... But the PPro is MUCH better.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
walleye seeker said:
i use power pro it is a round line and cast fine and you can use your mono knots. to add a fluro leader use back to back uni knots and put at least 15 yds of mono backing on your reel, best of all it is made in colo. for a jigging rod i would go with 30 lb min and heavier if you want 65 lb is only about 12 lb dia.
30 lb? 65lb? WTF? I usually use 6lb mono-

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
walleye seeker said:
30 lb? 65lb? WTF? I usually use 6lb mono-
It doesnt count in bass fishing if they touch the water while reeling them in!...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
slayer
30 lb power pro is about the same dia, as 6 lb mono. 10 lb power pro is the same dia as 1 lb mono and is a real pain to use, that is why i recomend 30 to 65 lb on casting reels. the lighter line will git between the spool and the frame

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
walleye seeker said:
slayer
30 lb power pro is about the same dia, as 6 lb mono. 10 lb power pro is the same dia as 1 lb mono and is a real pain to use, that is why i recomend 30 to 65 lb on casting reels. the lighter line will git between the spool and the frame
Just givin ya some poop ;D- To me, it's rare to see talk of 65 lb line around here. Prolly dont lose many lures, though!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts