Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to try the swimbait action I hear so much about. Buying a 5oz spro trout and would like to have some input on a rod. I see a Matt Lures Swimbait Rod on ebay for under 100, is this a good rod? other suggestions?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've never used a mattlures rod, I've got a Quantum PT Swimbait Special that i'd picked up off of ebay cheap. The Quantum has been a good rod for starting off, but after using one of the Okuma swimbait rods, i wish i'd spent the little extra (they're around $110) and grabbed one of those, it's much lighter and has a good feel. My next swimbait rod is going to be an Okuma, no question.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The Matt Lures rod is a good one. Here's a review of it by the insane crew at TackleTour.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast2008mattlures.html

The TackleTour bunch also conducted an extensive (I think it was 16+ rods) review of swimbait rods under the topic of "Swimbait Rod Wars". If you go to the following page and scroll right down to the bottom of the page (down to about 10/2007 or so), you'll see the start of it - then just work your way back up and get a good view of most of the rods that are out there right now.

http://www.tackletour.com/menurods.html

I personally use the Okuma Big Bait Guide Select rods because when I got into this I wanted economically priced but purpose-built rods that could handle the baits I wanted. The Okumas got good reviews online and, more importantly, from my swimbait-winging friends in California who regularly land DD bass (scum of the earth, my friends) and 30+ stripers (did I mention that they were scum? they are) on such tackle. I've used them for about 3.5" years now and while they may not be as refined, or light, as some other rods out there, they definitely work. If you can, head to BPS and ask someone at the fishing counter to bring out a full range of the swimbait rods, spool up a suitable reel with 25-lb mono or 65-lb braid, tie on a 4 or 5 ounce weight, and make some practice casts (see if you can hit the Wahoo restaurant) out back...or, at the very least, see how they balance feels.

Of course, going swimbait is like crack, or perhaps meth...get that first fish and you might never be able to put the rod back down!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Okuma swimbait specials are nice.
Shimano crucials are also nice for the $159 price tag.
However, the shimanos have smaller length handles.

The advantage to buying either of these rods is you can save that money and invest in a high quality reel. Casting those big baits can cause big time wear and tear on lower end reels.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
swimbait said:
FishDr said:
I've used them for about 3.5" years now...
:eek: Pray Doc, do tell; WTF is an inch-year? :D
;D

An inch-year is either:
1. The speed at which Bill Murphy stitched worms when he was on a really slow bite.
2. The rate at which my hairline is receding (it's like the tide, but the tide comes back in).

Take your pick...

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts