Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a long shot but I'm looking for a place that could service my boat trailer. Need to have the bearings repacked AND recarpet my bunks at the same time. I dont have the time to do it myself. Any place you can think of that can do this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Don't know if they do the carpet, but I had excellent service from Al West Boat Service, 215 W Van Buren St, Colorado Springs. (719) 635-2426

·
Registered
433 Posts
This is a long shot but I'm looking for a place that could service my boat trailer. Need to have the bearings repacked AND recarpet my bunks at the same time. I dont have the time to do it myself. Any place you can think of that can do this?

Thanks in advance.
Where you located ?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My II Cents

You're a lucky fella, I have never had more money than I had time.

As far as the bearings, they are no different than the bearings and seals on the front of a vehicle. I would think any auto shop could do them but maybe not.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Elite Trailer Service - 303-961-6236. He has done quite a bit of work on my trailers. Good guy, mobile service. Not sure if he would do the bunks.

Best Marine in Wheat Ridge. Pretty sure I have heard of them doing bunks. 303-423-3311

·
Registered
201 Posts
About those bunks ... have you considered just replacing the bunks altogether with a product that doesn't require carpet? I did mine a few years back (the 2x4s were starting to rot a bit), and haven't looked back since. The bunk replacements I bought are kind of like Trex (the wannabe wood decking, but is really plastic or some sort of composite/sawdust mix) ... definitely a plastic material of some sorts. Anyway, took the boat to a local lake and put it in the water. Replaced the bunks in the parking lot with boat in water. Voila. Took about 15 minutes. For my boat, the two bunks cost about $100 (ordered them online, so there was a non-trivial shipping cost of two 8' 2x4s that weighed about 40 lb). Gotta think you'll be spending about that much paying somebody to do the bunk carpeting.

So the new bunks allow the boat to slide on/off really easily and they won't rot ... something to consider.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dogwood,

Yes I have looked into the type of bunks you mentioned. But there were two things that I read that made me think it wouldnt work for me. First of all I have a Lund 18 ft. The trex type of bunk you mention says that they are not recommended for riveted bottoms which mine unfortunately is. Also some of the trex type bunks say they are not recommened for painted bottoms which mine also happens to be.

I'm not exactly sure if i am correct.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Gents,
Interesting. My boat is a 16' aluminum deep v, and it's also a riveted hull. The hull is painted, but not all the way down to where it sits on the bunks. I can see where a non-carpeted bunk could definitely wear off the hull paint over time. Since I've owned the boat, the hull has kept bone dry, so I guess I haven't caught a rivet on the edge of the bunk, or whatever it is they're concerned about by stating that warning. Oh well, just a thought.

FWIW, I can think of a half dozen reasons why trailer manufacturers would state that recommendation, none of which have a sound technical basis but rather provide incentive to replace trailer parts from the manufacturer. Cost is certainly the first one!

Best regards,
Dogwood

1 - 14 of 14 Posts