Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a Texan, sort of. I grew up there but lived in Colorado (Summet County two years in the early 80's. I move to Western Montana for 15 years and then back to Texas, got married and we have a 14 year old Daughter. We just took our first trip to Colorado. My daughter says we can move! Probably will not happen right away but we will certainly be back next summer for a much longer stay.
So, I am wondering about fishing rivers an lakes. We will be in the Montrose, Ridgeway area.

How is the Uncompahgre River for trout?
Can anyone suggest good access points?
What about if I had a raft. What would be a good float, a good place to put in and take out?

What about lakes and resevoirs?
I am an avid Kayak Fisherman in Texas. I do not mind long paddles? What about Morrow Point or any others? Are there Walleaye or Pike?

I know that is a lot of questions but I figure I have a good year to figure all this out, so I am starting somewhere.

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ridgway has some big Browns and Smallmouths in it, but you better hurry because they are trying to get rid of the Smallies in it. Morrowpoint is a long walk especially with a kayak unless they built a road to it since the last time I was there. There is always Blue Mesa. I only lived there 1 year but I fished quite a bit, Grand Mesa has a lot of little lakes you can put a kayak on, you might have to do some research on it though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

So how far a hike is Morrow Point? Someone told me the fishing is good. I might take my 13 year old daughter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Marrow point access is quite steep. There are stairs, but it is still a steep hike up to get out. The river is very cold water. There are plenty of trout opportunities on the Grand Mesa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts