Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fisher-peeps !

Im currently working on a large paper about the history and future of the Golden area, and am in great need on some expertise about fly fishing Clear Creek. As i wont be on this forum to post a lot - im looking for someone i can contact about the matter. I am mainly looking for a person with great knowledge of clear creek itself and the fishery from the sportsmans perspective. Is there someone on this site who has a very keen knowledge of Clear Creek and would you be able to lend me an hour or so of your time ?

Thanks in advance

Barry

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Search by "Silent_Light creek" OR "Silent_Light Clear Creek" OR something of the such....You will have plenty of search results that should answer your questions.

@S_L you're welcome for one less PM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CoCarp, and thank you for the tip on the searches, loads of information.

Ive talked with a lot of fisher-people already and have only found "just guys who fish", so they have had very linited knowledge.

THis section of the research is about the sustainabliity/conservation of Clear Creek and the potential it brings to Golden not only in recreation, but public funding as well to suppliment the ongoing cleanup and Federal Superfund status it already has. Clear Creek already meets most of the requirements of Gold Medal Water status, it just lacks the fish size people want. Hopefully part of the research will be used to garner more support for this river, and benefit Golden as well as fishermen/women.

As long as i can find people who have taken the time to research this river, have a tremendous knowledge of the fishery, and are connsumate sportsmen/women with a passion, ill find what i need.

Thanks agiain CoCarp

Barry

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
@CollegeGuy - Right now I'm going to squash your thesis or hopefully give you some ammo....Thanks for your enthusiasm!!! There are plenty of folks on this forum that will bend over back words for CC. It's a great creek and I, and many folks, would love for it to be fruitful and a self sustaining fishery one day. To be realistic between the mining and I-70 run-off....> Coors Beers?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I wrote a brief paper on the history of the clear creek fishery back in collage. The University of Colorado Boulder campus actually has a good collection on the history of Clear Creek and past Division of wildlife sample studies on the creek. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
O. clarki stomias said:
I wrote a brief paper on the history of the clear creek fishery back in collage. The University of Colorado Boulder campus actually has a good collection on the history of Clear Creek and past Division of wildlife sample studies on the creek. Good luck.
O. Clarki - You needed to defend yourself on our thread

·
Registered
113 Posts
mkg4478 said:
West Denver Trout Unlimited has been doing stream improvements on Clear Creek for quit a few years. They also do water analysis and an annual bug survey. You might try contacting them. http://www.westdenvertu.org/
If you find out information on bug life, I'd be interested to know some of the differences above and below Idaho Springs. I know I read reports on here of Drakes up above, but I usually fish in the canyon and have never seen drakes.

S

·
0 Posts
TH said:
mkg4478 said:
West Denver Trout Unlimited has been doing stream improvements on Clear Creek for quit a few years.  They also do water analysis and an annual bug survey.  You might try contacting them.  http://www.westdenvertu.org/
If you find out information on bug life, I'd be interested to know some of the differences above and below Idaho Springs. I know I read reports on here of Drakes up above, but I usually fish in the canyon and have never seen drakes.
  Ill answer this one with the dominant species of each area :

Below Idaho Spgs -   Net Builder Caddis ( hydropsyche) up to sz 8
                                   Tube/Rock Cased Caddis
                                   Yellow Sally 18-20
                                   Small Stoneflies 18-20
                                   Midge
                                   Golden Stone to sz 6
                                   Caddis Adults 16-20
                                   BWO

Above Idaho Spgs -  Golden Stones
                                  BWO
                                  March Brown
                                  Blue Dun
                                  Lesser Green Drake
                                  Net Builder Caddis
                                  Rock Cased Caddis - seen pupae to sz 10 ( pale pink in color)

Why the difference > water quality/ differing climate

Lesser Green Drake Nymph and just emerged dun from Dumont area :

Typical front range caddis adult :

Hydropsyche nymph alongside the Cheeseman Czechmate ( CC Canyon) :

BTW - the Deckers area is starting to see a surge in Green Drakes now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Silent! You've got the goods as usual when it comes to CC. Time for me to start looking up patterns to tie for the hydropsyche.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Another great source is Kerry Caragher at the Cherry Creek Orvis store and the Colorado Mountain Fly Fishing Club in Golden.

Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts