Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone been out to the Prospect ponds in ft collins recently? Trying to see if the bass have pulled in close yet, cause if they have its an absolute blast to fish....nothing too big but PLENTY of action!

·
Registered
40 Posts
jwhitman36 said:
has anyone been out to the Prospect ponds in ft collins recently?  Trying to see if the bass have pulled in close yet, cause if they have its an absolute blast to fish....nothing too big but PLENTY of action!
Was out there recently in my kayak. Marked fish (yes it has sonar) suspending in 5-8 FOW. Mostly 20'-50' off shore. Important note: Most fish marked were on the west side of the pond. Caught several bass...most were only 8", one was the size of my lure. Used rapala shallow running shad rap. As I found out, the most Southerly Prospect pond (catfish pond) is mostly 10' deep without any real structure. Had some fun though...got funny looks from other anglers looking at my yak. Oh well, I had to try out the FF.

BTW, there were several 2" shad dead/dying on the surface. Don't know what that's all about!?! Anyone know why that could be?

Lip Ripper

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
I've seen dead shad like that a few times out east in the Kansas waters...i could only think that they were unsuccessfuly eaten by fish :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on the south pond there are some small structures along the east bank. Have had good luck over there throwing rapalas along with dark colored grubs/worms. Pulled out a monster crappie along the south shore right next to the swing on a black grub with black/yellow bead head.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I want one of those Tiger Muskies that are lurking in those waters! I have got to get out there soon!! Maybe my life will mellow out soon and I can get back out there!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was out there today, with dog and girlfriend so I didnt stay too long, but caught 6 fish throwing a small rapala. all were really small, but maybe the muskies had gotten to the big ones? Wonder which of the ponds they are in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry guys, I know that this question has already been asked but are the Prospect ponds the same as Riverbend ponds? Whenever I have been on Prospect i have only seen signs for Riverbend ponds.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im not sure what the river bend ponds are, but the ones that I am talking about are right next to the water treatment plant on the south side of prospect. They are right next to a bunch of offices. I also have a question for anyone out there, I know that the eastern pond on the other side of the river use to be off limits, is it still? I didnt see any of the signs anymore. Had a friend who use to go to that pond when it was still open and said it was by far the best of the 3,

·
Registered
664 Posts
I believe the strangely named "skunk pond" to the west of the other two ponds is open. I have always wondered about that east pond...but the barbed wire fence around it sort of gave me the feeling that it's off limits.

One interesting thing I noted: If you look at the sign for the natural area at the first parking lot (at the northern most pond) there is some info on the ponds and such...The city put a picture of a smallmouth bass on the sign with a caption that reads "smallmouth bass". Would this lead you to believe that there are smallmouth in the nothern pond? The DOW doesn't list them in the fort collins/ loveland fishing pamphlet but I have also noticed that they are incorrect on a couple species in other local ponds.

Also...does anyone have any experience with Kingfisher Ponds (on the west side of timberline) the DOW lists just bluegill and crappie in there...anyone know if there's largemouth as well?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have never seen the barbed wire on the eastern pond when coming from the catfish pond parking on up. There use to be a sign posted toward the bridge, but I didnt see it today. I could have been a little distracted by trying to keep my dog out of the spot I wanted to fish though!

·
Registered
382 Posts
farmer ted said:
Also...does anyone have any experience with Kingfisher Ponds (on the west side of timberline) the DOW lists just bluegill and crappie in there...anyone know if there's largemouth as well?
My friend caught a small smallie out of there on the west side a year ago. There are a ton of carp in there

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you are to click on the link that is above in another post for the PDF that shows all the natural areas you can see what I will be talking about.

For Prospect Ponds (#16) you can see the ponds to the top right of the number. The pond furthest north but still south of Prospect Rd is private, as well as the pond that is right under the #17. If you are to park at the dirt lot on the very south end of Prospect ponds and go across the bridge next to the swing you can see a sign across the river that says No Fishing Allowed. As far as the Riverbend Ponds which are all North of Prospect all of those ponds are free to fish.

As for the ponds on the west side of Timberline (Kingfisher Natural Area) I can't remember if the north pond is off limits or not, but I know the south one is open to fish and I know there are Largemouth in there, but not sure if it was Smallmouth or Spots that were in there as well. All the ponds that are directly off Timberline to the east are private though. As for the little ponds that are to the west of Riverbend across the Poudre I have no clue if they are open or not, never been over there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts