Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 've been trying this method for about 1 year and I love it. ButI don't know muchbout it. Tired of catching small stockers and having trouble in the wind. Can any of you guys give me your recomendations on a pole (size), and line, for going after bigger fish like pike and wipers. Anything would help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I think this subjects been hit a few times....but ill throw my 5 cents worth in again, no problem ;)

For pike and wipers, id go with an 8 wt. it will work for bass and large trout also, not to mention most inshore saltwater stuff. it will have enough "oomph" to deal with larger fish, and also throw a heavy enough line to deal with the larger patterns you will use. go with a 9 ft rod minimum, and if you can get away with it a 9 1/2. fast to meduim action is ideal, but it depends on what you like.

as far as brands...well how much you are willing to spend will determine that. a cheap rod will work, but i like something with an unconditional lifetime garrantee...so look at some of the entry level St Croixs, Scotts, and Gloomis models. they might run you from 150-250 dollars, but if you use it alot it is worth it.

if you are willing to spend more look at the Sage and Thomas and Thomas upper end rods. I prefer those, but im sort of a fly rod snob i guess. dont get me wrong though, a cheaper rod will work fine if it casts well for you. It all depends on what you like.

Just so you know though, i usually fish a Sage XP in 7 wt for wipers...it works fine...and will also work for most other situations...even pike in a pinch. my main pike rod is a 9 wt though, i find that works better for big flies and is much easier to cast with when dealing with wind and such.

·
Registered
153 Posts
yeah, I love my sage Xi2 for pike... lol... never caught one on it, but I havent fished with it that much yet... it was my grad present... Just an awesome rod to Have... also, a good reel is worth its weight as well... If you are fighting big fish, you cannot beat a really good disc drag system. Palming just wont work... on my Xi2 I have a ross canyon big game... lol... its an awesome reel...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
your Xi2 is a great rod...i have 4 pc in 8 wt i use for saltwater...too bad they cost so much or i would have suggested it...

as far as the Ross, they are hard to beat....i like the BG4 for the heavier stuff (salmon, snook, big jacks, bones (well i never caught one yet ;) ) Its a big reel, but you get used to it...

·
Registered
153 Posts
It is... but its not bulky... I have a reddington crosswater (um... I think?) loaded with 8wt line and it is so unbalanced... My ross is a BG5 and its awesome, I will be fishing for redfish on the fly in a few weeks and I cant weight (haha!! pun intended... :p) I just need to find something big enough in CO to suit that itch I have to fish with it...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rottal. This topic has probably been posted before but I don't usually look in this folder.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would head over to discount tackle on santa fe just south of evans on the west side of the road. Last time i was there they had a tfo 8 weight for around 150, and some pretty decent reels. I use an 8 weight for pike and have never had a problem pulling them in or casting those big flies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts