Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just wanted to say that I really like this website. I have been looking for a site like this for at least ten years. Thanks for being here!

I have flyfished for the past fifteen years and am fairly competent at it if i'm fishing for trout, bass, perch, crappie, etc. I started fishing for walleye two or three years ago after purchasing a small boat. The majority of my excursions have been to Chatfield since I already knew it to be a good walleye fishery. My question is: are there other good walleye lakes around the Denver metro area that are worthy of attention?

I am not looking for anyone's secret spots or anything like that. Just trying to find out if there are other lakes with good walleye fishing that might be worth the effort.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Other lakes to put a boat on for eyes...Cherry Creek, Aurora (watch the wind and electric motors only...can have gas motor just cant use it), Stanley Lake...

I like Aurora the best...not crowded and no lake lice (jet skiers)...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
If you are from Golden(GoldenAngler) Bear Creek Reservoir has Saugeyes in it and you can put a boat on there...motor limitations of 10 hp or less or electric...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info zman. Do you happen to know any info on either Boulder Res. or Barr lake? I've heard tell of walleye being in both but have never confirmed it.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
GoldenAngler said:
Thanks for the info zman.  Do you happen to know any info on either Boulder Res. or Barr lake?  I've heard tell of walleye being in both but have never confirmed it.
THey both are stocked with Walleye. You can also take I25 north to Boyd and Lonetree.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
GA

I tend not to think of the Repulic of Boulder as part of the metro area buy yeah there are some nice walleyes in that Reservoir...I know people that have had good luck from the dam...I dont know if they sell daily permits for a boat there...and I think the annual ones are pricey for people who dont live in Boulder county...some one can correct me on that if I am wrong...

And Barr does have walleyes according to the parks fishing pages...I dont remember anyone talking about catching them on this site...here is the link to the fishing page...

http://parks.state.co.us/default.asp?action=article&contentID=465&parkID=67

Also not that much further is Lontree up by Loveland, I believe Lon Hagler has them, Boyd and Carter too...you might even think about Horsetooth...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Welcome GoldenAngler! Barr Lake does have some walleyes, I've caught quite a few there over the past few years. I don't know if I'd call it a good walleye fishery but there are definitely quite a few in there. Give it a try in early spring, that's when I've done my best there. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use to fish horsetooth last summer and got a ton of walleye. They werent too big but still pretty nice. I would say every day I caught at least 6 walleye before all of a sudden they stopped and kept getting skunked

M

·
0 Posts
The Boulder Res. definitely has walleye in it.  I've walleye fished there for the last 9 years. 

I usually fish there during the spawn since they don't close it down for netting.  The fish are usually small though.  They average 14-18" during the spawn.  I've never caught anything bigger than 22" during the spawn.  I've caught all my bigger fish in May and June after the spawn.  I found the south dam to be better, but both can be just as good.  If your not catching fish move around and if you catch one there's usually more.  Don't waist your time casting too far out, they are right next to the shore.  I would recommend fan casting left or right along the shore.  Plus by casting close to the shore it is easier to retreive snags as there are a lot of ROCK BASS around the dam.  You're gonna lose lures though, that's for sure.

I've fished all these other premier walleye fisheries, but my biggest walleyes still come out of the Boulder Res.  Lots of casts and lots of luck though.  But the most important is time of the year.  I've caught 6 walleye over the 28" mark from the Res. and they have been in Mid May and 1st 2nd week of June.  Last time I saw a pig come out of there was a couple of years ago on Memorial weekend when this group landed a 30"er.  The other suggestion is fish at night.  I never see anybody there after 10p.m.  I seem to do best at 3 in the morning to sun rise.  As soon as that sun comes up, they are gone.  For the big fish after the spawn in May and June.  Every fish that I've caught that were big were caught at 10:30 to mid-night. 

It's best fished from the shore though because it's not worth getting a annual or daily permit.  The annuals if you live out of the city are over $200 and a daily was $50 the last time I paid many years ago.  The other thing is all boats must be out by dark.  So if you are walleye fishing that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a permit.  But from what I remember you can take a boat out there for free until they start that Kinetics thing in May.  You will have to call and check with them.

If you have a mountain bike and have room, take it.  You have to park at Coot lake and walk.  They closed down the parking that used to be right next to the dam 3-4 years ago and the walk to the south dam is quite a walk.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts