Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about $400 to spend on a fish finder but I know very little about them, as I'm perty new to boating and realy looking to dial in my fishing skills from the boat this year. I think I'll be taking it at places like Boyd, Horsetooth and Carter and many smaller waters. Trolling and jigging/casting.
Hummingbird or Lowrance? Or is it like a Ford or Chevy kind of thing and comes down to personal preferance.
Side scan, down scan, different transducer powers and cone angles are out there. GPS options and speed readings. So many options are out there it gets confusing real quick for me.
I've done some research and I'm leaning towards Lowrance elite 5 series.
I thought I'd ask for some advice on here from some of you that have some on the water knowlege of electronics before I go and buy one. Any advice helps, even if it's just from your personal preferance.
I'm usung an old Eagle 168 right now, so thats the only thing that I've used so far.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If you don't need chartplotter (GPS) then go with the Elite 5x CHIRP ($399), if you need chartplotter then go with the Elite 5 CHIRP ($549.00). CHIRP is top line technology for those who fish below the boat...like walleye, lakers, etc.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
There was an Elite X 7" at Cabellas on the south end of town about 2 weeks ago for under $350... great deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
X2 settthehook. I love the pixel clarity on the Lowrance Units. I found that anything Lowrance on sale is an old unit that they are discontinuing. Get the CHIRP. You will love it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good, I'll go take a look at the chirp series this weekend, not sure if I can spring for the cartploter.
Does that $399 price come with the transducer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts