Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a new fishing reel for my dad. Im looking to spend $40 or under. I want it the open face spinning reel. Would like one that locks right when you stop reeling(Dont know what thats called) If you guys could reccomend one for me and tell me where I could get it and how much it is that would be great! Thanks, Craig!

·
Registered
297 Posts
You might look at the Mitchell 300x and 308x, I have them both in the gold series and have been very happy with both of them. You should be able to find them for about what you said you wanted to spend at sportsmans whse.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The Mitchell 300X should be right near the $40 mark, runs nice and smooth, and lasts a long time. I agree with Beerman on that one. If you get the 300XG (gold model) it will bump you up another 20 bucks or so but has more ball bearings in it.

I bought my first Mitchell 300 about 30 years ago, and my son still has it and still uses it!

W. E.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
WE

I had a 308 in the 70's. It wasn't very good. After that I never tried them again. I buy DAM Quick (not any more), Penn, Abu Garcia, and Shimano. Maybe I will give Mitchell another try. So, they are good...

Ter

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
TAL,

I have a 308XG gold model (11 bearings) on my favorite ultralight rod and that thing is so smooth it is more like a watch than a reel. Makes me smile every time I pick it up.

Its predecessor was a plain 308 (5 bearings) that broke on me. It jammed up solid while retrieving a lure, and wouldn't move. Back home, I took it apart and found that a metal chip left over from the manufacturing process had jammed itself in the main drive gear and mashed down one of the bronze gear teeth. I think it must have been a freak occurrence in the manufacturing process because I have owned a lot of Mitchells that had no problems.

So those are the facts, the good and the bad, make of them what you will, I wouldn't have a problem with owning more Mitchells. I also have a couple of regular-size Abu Garcia reels that work fine.

W. E.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I like the Okuma Avenger for the money. 7 bearings and the instant anti-reverse you mentioned. You can get them off ebay for about $25-30 new or in stores for around $40. If you want to spend a few more bucks the Okuma Metaloid is awesome. I have 2. 10 bearing drive, zero backlash handle, better drag system, and they look cool. Ebay prices around $45-50. In store prices about $55-65. I am really sold on Okuma reels since I discovered them this summer, excellent values.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am starting to turn to ABU Garcia's only. I have been slowly replacing all of my old reels with ABU Garcia's. I love 'em and I have no complaints with them so far.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I've looked at Mitchells in the store, and they did seem smooth. However, I'm w/ Scorpion, Abu's rock! I haven't had a problem w/ any of mine (all in the $30 range), and I'm not easy on stuff. I fish at least twice a week, and until 3 months ago was fishing at least 4 times a week. I've had a Abu Garcia Cardinal since I've started fishing (2 and a half years ago). Meanwhile, I've worn out 2 Quantums and a Shakesphere. Look for them at Sportsmen's Wharehouse or Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is an Okuma reel on sale at Dick's right now. It is called the Stratus and comes in two sizes, the 20 and 30 series. This reel usually sells for $70.00. They have them right now for $29.95. They are 8 bearing models with an extra spool and they are SUPER smooth.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I must say i have great luck with Quantum reels i have a Quantum Hypercast that i have had for 5 years works great that i use for trout,panfish,etc.for around 40 bucks its a pretty good reel, one of the best features about the reel is the casting mechanism, you can pick em up just about anywhere.

so many reels and so little time, good luck and mary Christmas.  James

·
Registered
179 Posts
the last 4-5 years i have really liked Daiwa reels. i don't know model numbers or prices but if you can find one around $40 on sale then that will be a good deal. they last and are smooth and i really like them. IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts