Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

after losing a big fish how long does it stay in your head

  • until i hook another one

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a few days

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a few weeks

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ill never forget it

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a few minutes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can tell you what I was using where I was at and all the little details about every big fish ive ever lost . I still have questions in my mind about all of them . I wonder just how big it was ?what did i do wrong ? And most of all why couldnt i just calm down and not try to horse her in .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,947 Posts
I hate talking about losing big fish cause ] nobody believes you anyways. So im not going to talk about it, but damn i think it was a big one that got away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,266 Posts
I cant really vote cause it only bothers me for a few minutes. I didnt see that as a choice?


[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,542 Posts
That is the only good thing about losing a big fish! You get to replay the battle a thousand times in your dreams!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,229 Posts
I have never forgotten any big fish I lost, It just keeps replaying in my mind, things like, why didn't I replace my line like I planned, I knew I should have stripped off more line after that last snag, why didn't i loosen my drag.........


Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,266 Posts
Dan said:
I have never forgotten any big fish I lost,  It just keeps replaying in my mind, things like, why didn't I replace my line like I planned,  I knew I should have stripped off more line after that last snag, why didn't i loosen my drag.........
I always think that in the first 5min after it happens then im just like 'oh well, nothing I can do about it now'


[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,014 Posts
it hurts you know it does but what is even worse is when you hear that someone in that same area caught a big nice fish and it eats at you knowing that was the one that got away
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
It does not bother me at all...I just grab a picture with leaves on the trees and tell folks I caught a HUGE one!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Missed/lost fish plague me. 95% of the time (for me anyway) it's due to a missed or not firm enough hookset. The other 5%, I've lost fish in heavy cover or the knot gives out because of my impatience...it pains me greatly to see a fish swim off with hardware still in its mouth.

I read info from tournament anglers all the time and the concensus is this:

"You're gonna miss bites. Its going to happen and you can't get too worked up over it....but losing a fish after setting the hook is inexcusable. Mostly because it could have been prevented."

Identify the error made. Learn from the mistake and move on. I repeat this over and over in my head as I watch the big one swim away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,266 Posts
left_turn56 said:
It does not bother me at all...I just grab a picture with leaves on the trees and tell folks I caught a HUGE one!!
Oh man, This never gets old. LoL

LoL

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,018 Posts
I always remember what I did wrong and how I can do it better in the future if I get the chance again. I remember getting a hog leg rainbow trout ont the south platte I did not set the hook well enough and it got off...I never expected him to hit again at all but on the very nest cast he did...I was so suprised he hit again and doubley suprised he hit on the next cast that I tangled my line on the handle of my reel...as I was attempting to untangle he glided off never to be seen again. :-[
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
I will always remember the monster (at least 8 lbs +) largemouth I hooked at connected lakes one evening that busted me off quickly. That happened last year around this time of year and I still think about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,687 Posts
Used to tear me up pretty good back when but doesnt bother me much anymore.I guess after you lose more than a handful of hawgs,you get used to it.I know deep down that I will get another chance for glory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
WELL WHEN THE AVERAGE FISH YOU CATCH IS 12-13 INCHES WHEN YOU HOOK A BIG ONE YOU NEVER FORGET
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top